Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS - Carbon Capture and Storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As usually bandied about, 'CCS' is not net removal of CO2, it is low(er) emission fossil combustion.

It could be. It's just a matter of cost and whether you're capturing CO2 from power plant effluent or the
atmosphere. If someone wants to pay $10 for a gallon of gasoline so $7 goes toward removing 15kg of CO2 from the atmosphere (10kg for the gasoline and 5kg for the energy needed to remove the 10kg). I'm ok with that as long as this is 'permanent' sequestration where the carbon is bound in rock not just underground in a gas pocket.

Last edited:
It could be. It's just a matter of cost and whether you're capturing CO2 from power plant effluent or the atmosphere. If someone wants to pay $10 for a gallon of gasoline so $7 goes toward removing 15kg of CO2 from the atmosphere (10kg for the gasoline and 5kg for the energy needed to remove the 10kg). I'm ok with that as long as this is 'permanent' sequestration where the carbon is bound in rock not just underground in a gas pocket.
Good description of the outrageous opportunity cost, and why CCS is a numbskull idea

The way I see it, 400 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere isn't sustainable, we already are melting most of the arctic ice as is. We need to get back to preindustrial levels (~270 ppm) of CO2 in the atmosphere as fast as possible. It will take a trillion new trees (at about a ton of carbon each), or some industrial process to do so, plus cutting the vast majority of fossil use to zero.

I strongly commend Elon for putting money on this.

6FA82651-2189-46CD-ACC1-FC5EE0F42B62.jpeg

https://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/propagation/mars/MarsPub_sec4.pdf

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Helpful chart. I was trying to educate my Dad about why co2 is a problem on earth / why fossil fuels co2 is a problem, and he said the atmosphere is so big, man couldn’t have much effect. If you look at the chart and round to the nearest %, nitrogen, oxygen, and Argon make up 100% of atmosphere but these gasses do not trap heat.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Given that Everything Elon Does Is About Mars, remember that carbon capture will be important for Mars. The atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide.

Maybe... but the atmosphere on Mars is SUPER-thin. ~10mBar compared to ~1000mBar on Earth. And the objective on Mars isn't to remove CO2, it's to make CH4. Elon would probably like to add some CO2 to the atmosphere to make Mars a bit warmer. The atmosphere may not be the best source of C to make CH4.

Maybe... but the atmosphere on Mars is SUPER-thin. ~10mBar compared to ~1000mBar on Earth. And the objective on Mars isn't to remove CO2, it's to make CH4. Elon would probably like to add some CO2 to the atmosphere to make Mars a bit warmer. The atmosphere may not be the best source of C to make CH4.

True.

But, probably a good idea to have the removal solved before they start adding. :p

@nwdiver 's table really highlights just how inhospitable Mars is to humans.
No oxygen gas, and just about only carbon monoxide and CO2.

Musk wants to colonize a circa 1970's car exhaust pipe.

There's actually a tiny amount of oxygen in the atmosphere.

That doesn't even mention the radiation and toxic soil.

It's typical Musk, though: as long as you have energy and the elements, it just needs engineering.

Reactions: mspohr