Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Charging in NA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They obviously don’t care one lick about providing charging to all EVs, any more than Tesla does. The only reason the CHAdeMO stations are there at all is because they were mandated by the dieselgate settlement.

And to think that I thought it was the standard because the Leaf used it, you know the #2 best selling EV? The one that actually uses DC Fast Charging.

And to think that I thought it was the standard because the Leaf used it, you know the #2 best selling EV? The one that actually uses DC Fast Charging.
Standard shmandard. Tesla doesn’t give a damn about them either. ;)

VW cars use CCS. Electrify America is VW. Thus EA stations are CCS, except for the mandatory minimum from the dieselgate wrist slap. Frankly we’re lucky that one chademo plug made it into the settlement at all.

Few if any, although the main charging network competitor at this point (Electrify America) is installing CCS plugs at an 8:1 (or worse) ratio vs. CHAdeMO. Each EA site has precisely one CHAdeMO charger.

It may be the case in CA, but it isn't in the remainder of the country. EA isn't the only, let even the biggest player in the DC Fast charger market.
I know my question was in general, but what about all the other DC fast chargers in the area? What are they?

The problem is not EA, the problem is Tesla for refusing to give North American customers access to additional options. Lines at superchargers on holidays has become an Internet meme and are an embarrassment to the brand. Tesla gave us a CHAdeMO adapter, why can't they give us CCS? Probably because the CHAdeMO was developed by the "old" Tesla that cared about what its customers wanted.

Any speculations on why?

I think Tesla wants everyone to stay in their ecosystem. They did the Chademo adapter I think for Canada mostly when they didn't have much supercharger coverage and Canada had a large network of Chademo deployed. Tesla was pushed by regulators in Germany to do a CCS-2 there.

Tesla loves proprietary nav (no Android Auto or Apple Carplay), proprietary charge connectors, exclusive repair options, licensed body shops, etc. Like Apple, they want you to never leave their ecosystem. Many are begging for Teslaquila (aka Tesla kool-aide). ;) Soon the cellular connection will be replaced with Space X Starlink Internet connection.

They did the Chademo adapter I think for Canada mostly when they didn't have much supercharger coverage and Canada had a large network of Chademo deployed.

I think the CHAdeMO was required for them to be able to sell cars in Japan, since that is the majority of DCFC stations installed there. (And the CHAdeMO was made compatible with the Model 3 about the time they started shipping Model 3s to Japan.)

Tesla loves proprietary nav (no Android Auto or Apple Carplay), proprietary charge connectors

You will notice that Tesla went with a standard charging connector in the EU from the very beginning. They went proprietary in NA because there was nothing that existed that met their needs at the time. And now with the installed base of destination EVSEs and Superchargers they are sort of locked in.

You will notice that Tesla went with a standard charging connector in the EU from the very beginning. They went proprietary in NA because there was nothing that existed that met their needs at the time. And now with the installed base of destination EVSEs and Superchargers they are sort of locked in.

Tesla has been swapping out many of its superchargers and installing V3 ones too. No reason why the new installed base couldn't include both a Tesla proprietary and CCS connectors like our friends in Europe have. There they had the legacy issue too.

Tesla has been swapping out many of its superchargers and installing V3 ones too. No reason why the new installed base couldn't include both a Tesla proprietary and CCS connectors like our friends in Europe have. There they had the legacy issue too.

But that does nothing for the 10s of thousands of destination chargers that are installed. In Europe the top part of the connector remained the same so all of the destination chargers work regardless of if you have a CCS port or not on your Tesla.

But that does nothing for the 10s of thousands of destination chargers that are installed. In Europe the top part of the connector remained the same so all of the destination chargers work regardless of if you have a CCS port or not on your Tesla.

Sell an adapter. I have one to use my Tesla charger on my Bolt. Works great. I use Tesla destination chargers around town for my Bolt too.

CCS is crucial for driving in Canada as Charge speeds are much faster than CHAdeMO (150K compared to 50K) which Petro Canada and some BC Hydro stations (in BC) support. This is especially true for Americans wanting to drive up to Alaska which your only options in BC north of Hope, BC are CHAdeMO 50K and CCS 150K. There are no Tesla Superchargers for the majority of my province so its home charging, J1772, CHAdeMO or CCS.

It looks like an official CCS1 adapter may be coming to Korea in the first half of next year: Tesla Korea 12월 뉴스레터

I wonder if it will require a retrofit like the European CCS2 one does, and what models it will work with.

tesla-ccs1-png.618109

Translated:

CcS1 charging adapter launched in the first half of 2021
To enhance the owner's ongoing charging experience, Tesla Korea will officially launch the CCS1 charging adapter in the first half of 2021. The charging adapter makes it easy to charge your car not only with Tesla's dedicated supercharger and destination charging network, but also at CCS1-compliant public rapid charging stations.

We'll guide you through Tesla Korea's KakaoTalk channel on detailed launch schedules and purchasing methods; thank you for joining us in accelerating the global transition to sustainable energy.

It looks like an official CCS1 adapter may be coming to Korea in the first half of next year: Tesla Korea 12월 뉴스레터

I wonder if it will require a retrofit like the European CCS2 one does, and what models it will work with.

tesla-ccs1-png.618109

Translated:
Great news!!! And it's a much smaller adapter. I hope that they start shipping this to the USA too. (Or we might have to purchase it via the grey market).