Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Charging options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But this is about to change...
Rumours says that the new charging network that IONITY is building will be CCS only.
But that doesn’t necessarily mean that all stations will be only CCS and they will change the current ones in the near future.

Since I ordered my car, I was hoping that there would be a CCS adapter available. But it seems at the moment, only a CHAdeMO will be possible, therefore I have to hope a high number of charging stations will keep supporting this.

If the CCS option requires just as big/expensive an adapter as CHAdeMO, then it's kind of pointless. If on the other hand it's a simple mechanical only adapter like the J1772, then that is fine and still better than the CHAdeMO option.
I don’t think there will be a CCS adapter, at least the standard doesn’t allow for it at the moment.

Maybe in the future, but since it seems to relate to safety, I don’t feel sure about it.

I don’t think there will be a CCS adapter, at least the standard doesn’t allow for it at the moment.

Maybe in the future, but since it seems to relate to safety, I don’t feel sure about it.
The IEC/European side might not allow it, but the SAE seemed open to the idea of an adapter (they even made a presentation about a DC adapter for Teslas, although it's a lower power version).
SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S

Because they can't possibly put different hardware in EU vs. US cars? Do you think all Teslas now have the necessary hardware to support the Chinese GB/T standards since they put that on China bound cars? Shoot they even use a different quarter panel for China now. (Or at a minimum they modify them.)
My point is it makes it much easier for Tesla to release CCS support in US if they have the software and hardware developed for CCS in Europe which works on the same port as supercharging, rather than the current situation. I think that point should be fairly obvious. The CCS EVs currently use pretty much the same hardware and software in US and Europe other than the port, so the idea is the same.

The GB/T is a different situation completely since it's not interchangeable, and Tesla was forced to add it quickly because of China law.

Reactions: Jeff N
The IEC/European side might not allow it, but the SAE seemed open to the idea of an adapter (they even made a presentation about a DC adapter for Teslas, although it's a lower power version).
SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S
I wasn’t aware of that, but I would be ok with a lower power adapter like the CHAdeMO since I would only use it for emergency charging outside the Tesla network.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
But that doesn’t necessarily mean that all stations will be only CCS and they will change the current ones in the near future.
This is a NEW charging network, and has nothing to do with any existing charging networks. So no, this will NOT mean that they will - or can - remove ChaDemo from existing locations belonging to other charging providers. And yes, they MAY be co-located some places with other charging networks that has ChaDemo support. What I was saying was that - if the rumors are true - they will not put up any new ChaDemo charging on any of their new locations where they do not have any other charging providers located at the same place.

I said it long ago - Tesla need not provide CCS on their cars nor an adapter for their cars until a significant charging network that can deliver >50kW is deployed. It seems things are aligning and Tesla is following through now that there is a compelling use for CCS with their cars.

Reactions: jbcarioca
It would definitely be better if Tesla had been selling CCS support already years now, especially if it requires in-car support and can't be done through an adapter (which apparently is currently the case with CCS).

Being able to use CCS would be very useful, but I don't really expect my Model X to be able to do so during its lifetime - even though useful CCS charging points already exist and are appearing all the time.

CCS support can't come soon enough.

There will likely come a day when I will seriously regret my Model X does not support CCS. :)

Reactions: widodh and mutle
I disagree. Even a 50kW charge is better than not being able to charge at all. And there are still some holes in the Super Charger network. The alternative is 11 or 22 kW AC, which is significantly slower.
Indeed! CCS is just awesome to have (In Europe at least). It's just 2 additional pins but opens so many oppertunities to charge.

If and when Model 3/S/X have CCS support I expect them to support at least 250A/100kW which will seriously help a lot. And yes, those 100kW CCS chargers are being installed today in Europe.

I made this image for another discussion but thought it may be of interest here.

Yes, my photo editing skills are terrible :)

8C5ykjE.png

Very nicely done! I can see this one go viral any minute now where people say they have a picture of Model 3 with a CCS inlet, haha!

I just can't wait/hope anymore for Tesla to update their vehicles and to add CCS support.

It isn't "just" 2 additional pins. They will likely need more contactors, and communication hardware as well as software. (And possibly additional cabling if they can't fit all of the necessary equipment directly behind the charge port.)
FWIW, Tesla's have supported needed CCS communications protocols forbears, according to JB. Those are the easiest part. The more complex issues are dealing with all the high power DC standards included with CCS.
Frequently Asked Questions