Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Charging options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The exact wording in the EU-directive is "recharging points accessible to the public".

EUR-Lex - 32014L0094 - EN - EUR-Lex

... there is some talk about that the latest SuperChargers in Germany is walled in with a locked gate. Code to open the gate is displayed at the display in the car, so they are not "accessible to the public" and so avoid this problem? German users may confirm this if correct.

i thought there were no new superchargers since this rule came into place and now they will obviously include CSS so it doesnt matter either way?

Yes, but if Tesla has plans to implement that EU-directive, then they also need to let any CCS capable car use that plug on an ad-hock basis.

This would depend on how the law was written. The law may only specify the plug type, and not the process of using the connector. It sounds like a loophole, but if that's the way the law is written...

It would be more open than it was before, that's for sure.

[Edit: Should have read the quoted section of your other post first! In any case this paves the way for future stations being "open". Perhaps they could have one supercharger stall which is an "unlocked" CCS connector, is the same way that destination chargers also have a "for all EVs" unlocked charger?]

... and now they will obviously include CSS so it doesnt matter either way?

Now they will fulfills point 4 in the quote I posted above. But I don't think they want to fulfill point 9 and 10 as of yet.

This would depend on how the law was written.
Yes, and I'm not sure about the wording of the law in Germany. But it sounds like it is relatively strict according to the directive¹. But maybe not so strict in Spain? I know they also has implemented this in the law there, but it seam like Tesla still has been building superchargers there without walls/gates? But I'm not sure about that, or which other countries that has implemented this directive as of now.

¹ After all, from my understanding it was Germany that pushed for this wording of the directive. And that the German Auto industry was pushing it on their government.... But I may have misunderstood this :)

I believe that's a Type 2 CCS to Tesla adapter (i.e., for S/X to charge at CCS chargers in EU and other Type 2 regions).

If they release one for the Type 1 (i.e. North America) market, it'll probably be similar overall but it won't be quite the same. Different interfaces on both sides of it. But good to see they're able to do it in a minimal footprint, compared to the monstrosity that is the ChaDeMo adapter.