Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Charging Plans, Are they worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I exclusively charge using Public chargers. I am patiently waiting for my apartment complex to install EV chargers, so in the meantime, I need to find the cheapest (but still decently fast) way to charge around here. Tesla Superchargers are priced very high around here (most all-day chargers are around 0.47-0.48 kWh), with some chargers at 0.38 kWh. I own a CCS adapter and am trying to see if anyone has experience with CCS-based charging infrastructure and associated plans. Thanks!

You can definitely save money with the CCS adapter!

Electrify America has their pass+ which gives $0.31 / kWh for $4 / month (free pass is $0.43). The savings of $0.12 / kWh means if you add more than 33 kWh (about half a model 3 battery) you break even.

Assuming your profile has a correct location there is also the EVCS network which offers several plans which may suit your needs if you’re willing to use 50 kW DCFC.

And finally EVGo just released several different pricing tiers. There are very few higher power EVGo stations (most are 50kW) in your area but they are building out their network. Even their most expensive plan $13/month (expensive but they give you $0.23 / kWh) and has a breakeven of 86 kWh.

Those new EVGo plans are worth a look to see if they suit your needs. If you don’t mind 50 kW charging, EVCS could be a nice option. If you just want to test the waters EA is always there.

Another fun thing with EVGo is that they just enabled autocharge+ for teslas with the CCS adapter which should allow you to plug and charge w/o having to deal with an app or credit card.

If you are a AAA member, get an EVgo account with the California AAA discount. No monthly fees, and supposedly their best rate.
I am from Maine and used the California AAA discount with EVgo. I set up the Autocharge+ yesterday, I look forward to the day that EA has the same support.

As for Electrify America, it's worth signing up for. It's much less expensive than the supercharger network.
When traveling in and around Yosemite, I had to charge using the EA network.