Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Combo 1 Adapter and DC Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new Tesla owner and apologize for my lack of knowledge. I see the CCS1 Combo adapter for sale. I was trying to understand what type of DC Fast connector they would work on. At charge point would it be a DC Fast CHAdeMO or DC Fast Combo that we would use?

Appreciate the education

thank you

Jeff

CHAdeMO and CCS are just two different connector types. CHAdeMO is not very popular, almost only used for Nissan Leafs, and is limited to 50kW of power. On many charging sites there will only be one CHAdeMO plug and multiple CCS plugs / chargers.

IF your car supports CCS, which you say it does, then CCS is the preferred adapter. you will have more chargers / plugs available and it should charge faster.

EDIT: That is for DC fast charging... For all AC charging, level 2 chargers / plugs, you will use the J1772 adapter that was provided with the car.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and Acps110
CHAdeMO and CCS are just two different connector types. CHAdeMO is not very popular, almost only used for Nissan Leafs, and is limited to 50kW of power.
It is not limited to 50 kW. Teslas can use them too with the quitely discontinued CHAdeMO Adapter. There's a whole thread at CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3. Randy Spencer and RayK in that thread (skip towards the end) have been using their CHAdeMO adapter for years.

Nissan LEAF Might Have A Good Fast Charging Curve With Active TMS got to 69 kW. Others have gotten a bit higher.

As for "not very popular", per CHAdeMO continues its network expansion getting close to 50k charge points | CHAdeMO, there are 8900 CHAdeMO chargers in North America.
On many charging sites there will only be one CHAdeMO plug and multiple CCS plugs / chargers.
So far, only CHAdeMO sabateour VW of America-owned Electrify America does that. All other major non-Tesla DC fast charge providers in the US currently have been putting on a pretty equal # of CCS1 and CHAdeMO handles at each site across their network. That may change though...

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Ok @cwerdna, fair enough, I can adjust a couple of statements. In AMERICA, CCS seems to have now surpassed CHAdeMO plugs. CCS maxes out at 350kW at the moment whereas CHAdeMO is topped at 100kW. However, many CHAdeMO installations are actually topped at 50kW. The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is maxed at 50kW anyway whereas the CCS adapter doesn't seem maxed.
Virtually all new electric vehicles are delivered with a CCS connector. We know where the CHAdeMO standard is going, it's no use hiding our heads in the sand... ;)

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I see the CCS1 Combo adapter for sale. I was trying to understand what type of DC Fast connector they would work on. At charge point would it be a DC Fast CHAdeMO or DC Fast Combo that we would use?
Knowing what the letters in CCS stands for answers this:
Combo Charging System
So yeah, it's the "combo" one.
CHAdeMO is not very popular, almost only used for Nissan Leafs, and is limited to 50kW of power.
It is not limited to 50 kW. Teslas can use them too with the quitely discontinued CHAdeMO Adapter.
...using the adapter, which IS limited to 50 kW. Good grief. *FACEPALM* This is a Tesla owner asking about using adapters to these other DC charging types. I have the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, and the most you can get through it is only about 46-47 or so kW.

So this was answering the real question this person was asking about how they could use it, not a theoretical thing about the CHAdeMO specification.

CHAdeMO and CCS are just two different connector types. CHAdeMO is not very popular, almost only used for Nissan Leafs, and is limited to 50kW of power.
...using the adapter, which IS limited to 50 kW. Good grief. *FACEPALM* This is a Tesla owner asking about using adapters to these other DC charging types. I have the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter, and the most you can get through it is only about 46-47 or so kW.

So this was answering the real question this person was asking about how they could use it, not a theoretical thing about the CHAdeMO specification.
GitMart made inaccurate statements. It would be like saying CCS is limited to nnn kW because the adapter you might use is limited to it. Those are two different things.

Ok @cwerdna, fair enough, I can adjust a couple of statements. In AMERICA, CCS seems to have now surpassed CHAdeMO plugs. CCS maxes out at 350kW at the moment whereas CHAdeMO is topped at 100kW. However, many CHAdeMO installations are actually topped at 50kW. The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is maxed at 50kW anyway whereas the CCS adapter doesn't seem maxed.
I haven't followed CHAdeMO's developments, but there is CHAdeMO Standard Ups Power To 400 kW, Surpasses CCS.

That said, as I've probably mentioned a bunch of times at TMC, at this point CHAdeMO seems like it's toast in the US. It will likely go into a period of steady decline in the US.

If VW-owned Electrify America tried just as hard to get CHAdeMO to high charging speeds and install an equal or more proportional # of CHAdeMO vs. CCS1 handles, then we might not be in this situation. But, VW got to decide how to spend $2 billion of their/our money (as part of dieselgate penance) and they were allowed to favor VW AG's business interests (e.g. VW, Porsche, Audi), shift the market a certain direction and screw a competitor.

Installing 1 50 kW CHAdeMO vs. 19+ 150+ kW CCS at a site isn't equal treatment at all (e.g. Walmart Supercenter | PlugShare). Westfield Valley Fair | PlugShare has 27 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
You sound like you love CHAdeMO and are frustrated at VW. EA is not deciding anything, they are following the market demands. Car manufacturers are the ones ultimately deciding which charging standards needs to be installed everywhere. Clearly, car manufacturers chose CCS, in Europe as well as in America. Charging providers are simply adjusting to that fact. It's no use having 4 CHAdeMO and 4 CCS at a site if 95% of the cars (percentage coming out of my ***, but I believe fairly representative) coming in need CCS...

My initial comment wasn't even about the adapter itself. In many places, CHAdeMO is indeed limited to 50kW, at least as far as I know. On top of that, the adapter limits what you draw so, for a Tesla-specific discussion, the rest is not very relevant.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Installing 1 50 kW CHAdeMO vs. 19+ 150+ kW CCS at a site isn't equal treatment at all (e.g. Walmart Supercenter | PlugShare). Westfield Valley Fair | PlugShare has 27 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO.
You are inflating the numbers a bit there... Those sites have:

• Walmart: 10 CCS only stalls (2 connectors each, but only one can be used at a time) and one CHAdeMO/CCS stall.
  • Westfield: 13 CCS only stalls (2 connectors each, but only one can be used at a time) and one CHAdeMO/CCS stall.
You have to look at the station counts in PlugShare, not the plug count.

You are inflating the numbers a bit there... Those sites have:

• Walmart: 10 CCS only stalls (2 connectors each, but only one can be used at a time) and one CHAdeMO/CCS stall.
  • Westfield: 13 CCS only stalls (2 connectors each, but only one can be used at a time) and one CHAdeMO/CCS stall.
You have to look at the station counts in PlugShare, not the plug count.
I'm looking at the number of handles. Sure at each stall only one (for now) can be used at a time but sometimes 1 handle or side is broken. For instance, I've seen broken locking tangs numerous times at CCS sites, EA included.

Electrify America Upgrades - Still free too mentions "The heat sensors in the cord handles have been failing at increasing rates, causing outages and supply is constrained on replacements according to EA reps I have spoken to. Not sure if they fail all at once, or if they deteriorate resulting in slowing speeds, so that can also be a factor in charging speeds."

For CHAdeMO, if that lone handle or station is down, you're SOL at that site. There is no other CHAdeMO handle to fall back to.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the number of handles. Sure at each stall only one (for now) can be used at a time but sometimes 1 handle or side is broken. For instance, I've seen broken locking tangs numerous times at CCS sites, EA included.
So if I installed a site with one stall that had 100 CCS plugs, of which only one could be used at a time, you would advertise that sites as having 100 CCS connectors? o_O

Soon enough it won't matter, as EA upgrades sites to their new generation of chargers they are only putting one CCS plug per stall. Though they are leaving the one old shared CHAdeMO/CCS stall, at least for now, likely until they all fail at which point they will be gone. (Except in California where I don't think the state is letting EA discontinue CHAdeMO support.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and GtiMart