TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

CCS / Combo adapter for DC charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by widodh, Dec 12, 2013.

1. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

We now know that there will be a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S.

The large manufacturers (who haven't build a EV yet....) said that the "Combo Connector" would become the standard for DC charging in the future. In response to that the European Union wants to ban CHAdeMO by 2017/2018.

This is defined as CCS, The Combined Charging System.

The Combo connector is a Type 1 or Type 2 connector with two extra pins for DC charging attached, this is how it looks like:

Under a Type 1 / J1772 connector (USA, Japan?)
    ccs-combo-type1.jpg

Under a Type 2 (Mennekes) connector (EU)
    ccs-combo-type2.jpg

The CCS specs are up to 200A at 500V, which is a potential 100kW. For Model S it would be about 75kW since charging is done within the 360 ~ 380 Volt range at a SuperCharger.

ccs-dc-charging-sheet.jpg

Cars which already support CCS:
    - BMW i3
    - Chevrolet Spark
    - Volkswagen e-Up
    - Volkswagen e-Golf

I have the feeling that the SuperCharging protocol is very similar to CCS charging, but just a bit beefed up. The adapter could potentially be just a static adapter with just some wiring just like the J1772 adapter for the US.

There hasn't been anything about this from Tesla, but since CCS goes up to 75kW for Model S it's a lot better then CHAdeMO which currently maxes out a 50kW.

2. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Your maximum power for both is wrong. What is likely is that a Frankenplug to Tesla car adaptor will be cheaper than the CHAdeMO one, but that's assumming there is an actual build out of these niche Frankenplug chargers to plug into.

There are numerous threads addressing these issues, so I hope a moderator will merge this thread with one of them.

3. martinve

martinve Active Member

I sure hope an adapter of this sort will be developed.
    It would sure help charging options in Europe. Specially in situations when people want to go on holidays.
    We still have different counties in Europe with each their own standards. It's not like rules in US, so we have to adapt until there is a solution and the old ones are cleaned up...

4. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

In Europe these plugs are actually being deployed.

You are right! I used the wrong search terms. Please continue here: SAE J1772 DC (Combo) Connector Adapter for Model S