Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ccs or chademo to j1772 adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading towards a DC charger next week. Hoping a ccs or Chad to J adapter will work with my j/Tesla adapter.

It'll save money and space if it works. Anyone tried it?
No. If you want to use a CCS1 charger, you need an adapter to go from CCS1 to Tesla's connector.

Ditto for CHAdeMO.

For the charger itself, check Plugshare to make sure it actually has a decent score and recent positive check-ins. Are there no Supercharger | Tesla nearby or en route?

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter will only let you use L1 and L2 J1772 EVSEs for AC charging. For DC charging over CCS, the DC is carried over the lower 2 pins. CHAdeMO is a totally different connector. What is CHAdeMO charging? has a visual aid.

Your "mobile charger" AKA Tesla's Universal Mobile Connector is only capable of providing 32 Amps of power (about 9 kWs). Depending on which Tesla you have it is capable of much more, and many Tesla Destination Chargers are capable to providing all the power for your cars full 48 amps (11.5 kWs) of charging or more on older S/X.

If you plan on sleeping in your car at campgrounds than the UMC would be a good solution as campgrounds have NEMA 14-50 plugs's but need the UMC to go between those and your car. This was originally how many Teslas got around the country as there was no charging network back in the day.

Most J1772 public chargers are at LEAST 30 amps so if you are planning on spending the night in a hotel with a charger you won't need your UMC. Some public chargers can handle the full 48 amps of modern Tesla's and all you need is your provided J1772 adapter.

Reactions: cwerdna
I thought that too and purchased a second adapter when Tesla was still asking $90. It has sat in my car untouched for 4 years. But yeah, if you use it every day, and I do have the satisfaction that I have it there, means I never worry about having a charging option.

Heck, I still have my UMC kit in the truck that I have only used twice, the J-1772 adapter, the second adapter I purchased, the CHAdeMO adapter that has done the heavy lifting on keeping my car charged for free over the years, and now the CCS adapter I used for the first time last night at the local Electrify America. And I use an original Model S 40 amp charger to charge at home and the Tesla 80 amp Wall Connector to charge at our cabin.

I think I officially have all the ways Tesla makes to charge your car. I now have a Swiss Army Car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: tps5352 and svsk135