Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS @ Petro Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it will come to NA anytime soon. Chademo is probably your best option if you want to use them.
Personal opinion: I think that Tesla will offer a CCS adaptor by the end of this year in NA because of the rapid growth of the Electrify America charging network in the US and the increasing number of CCS chargers in Canada. Tesla sells a CCS adaptor South Korea so the company knows how to make them. Tesla announces new CCS charging adapter but North America launch still unclear - Electrek And in Europe Tesla sells a CCS to Type 2 adaptor (European Teslas use a Type 2 connector).

I would not invest in a CHAdeMO adaptor; it’s not the future of EV charging in NA.

Personal opinion: I think that Tesla will offer a CCS adaptor by the end of this year in NA because of the rapid growth of the Electrify America charging network in the US and the increasing number of CCS chargers in Canada. Tesla sells a CCS adaptor South Korea so the company knows how to make them. Tesla announces new CCS charging adapter but North America launch still unclear - Electrek And in Europe Tesla sells a CCS to Type 2 adaptor (European Teslas use a Type 2 connector).

I would not invest in a CHAdeMO adaptor; it’s not the future of EV charging in NA.

I don't disagree. Chademo is certainly only a short term solution.

That said, looking at the expansion of the supercharger network, I suspect that a CCS adapter will be largely pointless as well as you'll have plenty of tesla options in pretty much every area that CCS is offered.

It will be interesting to see how things evolve over the next couple years.

Reactions: Vawlkus
That said, looking at the expansion of the supercharger network, I suspect that a CCS adapter will be largely pointless as well as you'll have plenty of tesla options in pretty much every area that CCS is offered.

Granted, given the quality of the Supercharger network, the likelihood of needing to fallback on CCS is small. Still, isn't more options better than fewer, if you manage to get yourself into a low battery situation?

While I think the SC network is better in just about every way today, I do think EA/EVgo/etc will catch up or even surpass (350kW, 800volt chargers aren't unheard of, for example) in the coming years. I've never been a fan of proprietary options--e.g. hate that Apple sticks to Lightning when everyone else has standardized on USB-C. I think of this as fairly similar. And look at the innovations taking place in the USB-C charging space vs. Lightning.

While SC is the best experience today and in the likely near-term, what about down the road? Once literally all the other car brands ramp up their EV production and all using CCS, eventually their combined sales numbers are going to dwarf the "odd man out" charging standard Tesla. This does worry me somewhat.

Reactions: Kappatown35
Thanks for the link to the video.

Well at least there is an adapter, though as the video suggests the charging rate is far below the max possible. I'm thinking that 99% of my charging will be at home and the remaining charging would be for my (infrequent) roadtrips, where I want fast charging. SC cover things pretty well, but I expect that CCS is going to grow pretty quickly as EV sales with other brands start to take off.

Hopefully Tesla releases their CCS adapter for NA soon!

Thanks for the link to the video.

Well at least there is an adapter, though as the video suggests the charging rate is far below the max possible. I'm thinking that 99% of my charging will be at home and the remaining charging would be for my (infrequent) roadtrips, where I want fast charging. SC cover things pretty well, but I expect that CCS is going to grow pretty quickly as EV sales with other brands start to take off.

Hopefully Tesla releases their CCS adapter for NA soon!

@damonbrodie even if the adapter doesn't give you full speed, in a pinch you could top up enough to comfortably get you to the next Supercharger. I think that's where a CCS adapter would prove helpful--keep one of those and the J1772 adapter in your vehicle and your likelihood of being stranded somewhere without a charging option that will at least get you back on the road are very low.

Reactions: cdswm3
@damonbrodie even if the adapter doesn't give you full speed, in a pinch you could top up enough to comfortably get you to the next Supercharger. I think that's where a CCS adapter would prove helpful--keep one of those and the J1772 adapter in your vehicle and your likelihood of being stranded somewhere without a charging option that will at least get you back on the road are very low.
Yep - seems right. In my case I don't even have my car yet (arrives later this month) so what do I know.

Before I take my first long road trip though, I think I would want to have either a CCS or Chademo charger as a backup to Super Charging. Maybe when I get some real-world experience I'll change my mind though - who knows.

Yep - seems right. In my case I don't even have my car yet (arrives later this month) so what do I know.

Before I take my first long road trip though, I think I would want to have either a CCS or Chademo charger as a backup to Super Charging. Maybe when I get some real-world experience I'll change my mind though - who knows.

@damonbrodie also in the "waiting on order" phase here too; date keeps changing but expecting sometime in May or June.

Reactions: damonbrodie
Granted, given the quality of the Supercharger network, the likelihood of needing to fallback on CCS is small. Still, isn't more options better than fewer, if you manage to get yourself into a low battery situation?

While I think the SC network is better in just about every way today, I do think EA/EVgo/etc will catch up or even surpass (350kW, 800volt chargers aren't unheard of, for example) in the coming years. I've never been a fan of proprietary options--e.g. hate that Apple sticks to Lightning when everyone else has standardized on USB-C. I think of this as fairly similar. And look at the innovations taking place in the USB-C charging space vs. Lightning.

While SC is the best experience today and in the likely near-term, what about down the road? Once literally all the other car brands ramp up their EV production and all using CCS, eventually their combined sales numbers are going to dwarf the "odd man out" charging standard Tesla. This does worry me somewhat.
Even if the other charging providers catch up or even surpass the number of locations, they will have a hard time matching the number of Tesla charging stalls. The others typically have 1 or 4 at best at each location.
Tesla just announced that the California Harris Ranch location will be expanded to 100 stalls.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Even if the other charging providers catch up or even surpass the number of locations, they will have a hard time matching the number of Tesla charging stalls. The others typically have 1 or 4 at best at each location.
Tesla just announced that the California Harris Ranch location will be expanded to 100 stalls.
Personally I’d rather see every gas station have 2 CCS chargers before mega charging stations. The US has announced a lot of money for EV charging. Canada should follow suit.
There should be an incentive for existing gas stations to install ev chargers and new gas stations should be required to install ev chargers.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Yes, I expect as EV's become more common, so will charging. As I understand, other than Tesla, every EV sold from now on will be CCS (Chademo obsolete here? Only for existing cars?) There are plenty of places that are too far off the beaten path to expect Tesla to cover - some of the more rural areas of western Canada, for example. But if the demand is there, there will be CCS chargers. (For example, Jasper to Canmore Ice Fields Parkway, with frequent stops, currently looks to be an iffy drive, assuming a SC eventually shows up in Jasper. But if everyone wants to drive it, there will be a CCS in Lake Louise, and maybe at that halfway point or some park stops eventually. Even if it's a way to go from say, 20% to 50% to make me more confident of the drive, it would help. Ditto going south route in BC and then going down into the USA.

Plus, Biden is promising thousands of chargers across America. Those will obviously be CCS. At that point, CCS adapters solves Tesla's "lineups at chargers on holidays" problem.

Reactions: damonbrodie
Personally I’d rather see every gas station have 2 CCS chargers before mega charging stations. The US has announced a lot of money for EV charging. Canada should follow suit.
There should be an incentive for existing gas stations to install ev chargers and new gas stations should be required to install ev chargers.
NRCAN funding is available for chargers, but it still isn’t enough of an incentive for locations to add charging capability.

Just stumbled across this post while reading random threads. Thought I would share.
Even though I have yet to take possession of my M3 (early June) Recently I had a notification in my RBC account for an “Offer”. If you are a RBC customer, you may know they have partnered with Petro-Canada for quite some time. You can link your VISA, & Debit card to your Petro card and get $0.03 off for every litre, as well as extra bonus points.
Not that anyone here cares about that… however through that same program Petro-Canada is offering 1 Year of free charging to RBC customers starting now.
I wouldn’t switch banks for it, but if you can grab while it‘s available… it’s better then a kick in the ass.

Attachments

• 21D2D09D-4F8E-4513-8D7A-7E82FAA61793.jpeg
    21D2D09D-4F8E-4513-8D7A-7E82FAA61793.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: cyberry
The interesting thing is - chargers can go anywhere. We've seen the J1772 chargers in hotels all over. Unlike a gas station, there's no need for an attendant on site to manage chargers; no delivery trucks, no cash registers, no check for underground leaks, much much less of fires, etc. It simply manages itself; the major reason for any attention would likely be vandalism or accidents. This makes me think the future of charging is in the corner of a parking lot for some other business. One of the interesting features of the future is what happens to all those obsolete gas stations - a glut of prime suburban commercial property becomes available, as many gas stations close. (But expensive to repurpose, since tank removal will probably become a serious issue)

Is the official Tesla CCS adapter from Korea actually available? I had heard that it was being offered/promised by Tesla, but haven't seen any reports about it since.