Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS retrofit service center availability for 2018 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S. I see that the service centers in Europe are offering CCS retrofits.

I am not comfortable doing this myself. Does anyone know when the service centers will be offering this service in the US?

Thank you.

I have a 2018 Model S. I see that the service centers in Europe are offering CCS retrofits.

I am not comfortable doing this myself. Does anyone know when the service centers will be offering this service in the US?

Thank you.
All I know is that when I check my app in the US, it states this:

Attachments

• 7374ED6E-B1FE-4864-B742-9CA4C78B08BE.png
    7374ED6E-B1FE-4864-B742-9CA4C78B08BE.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 343
@Deeptracks - You may be confused about the various standards. Europe changed a few years back to force all EVs to use CCS2 (a different standard than used in North America). It appears Tesla in Europe is offering to change the charge connector in old European Teslas to a CCS2 port. Tesla Superchargers in Europe also support CCS2 and that is why they are opening up Superchargers to all EVs.

For North America, Tesla uses the NACS (North American Charging Standard). I heard of no indication that Tesla is going to switch to the awful CCS1 standard that is so clunky and unreliable. There is no retrofit for Tesla's here. Tesla does make a CCS1 to NACS adapter you can buy so you can enjoy the horrors of CCS1 if you can't find a Supercharger.

CCS1 and CCS2 are different and incompatible with each other.

It appears Tesla in Europe is offering to change the charge connector in old European Teslas to a CCS2 port.
No, it’s simply an ECU upgrade that enables the CCS protocol along with a CCS2 to Mennekes adapter.

There is no retrofit for Tesla's here.
Tesla has announced their intent to start offering ECU retrofits here in 2023, as @SO16 showed above.

Tesla does make a CCS1 to NACS adapter you can buy so you can enjoy the horrors of CCS1 if you can't find a Supercharger.
But it’s useless on a 2018 S until the ECU retrofit has been completed.

Sounded like they were looking for the entire charge port to be changed.
There isn't room. The old S and X there in Europe still have that small reflector panel that flips out to reveal the port, and it just barely fits the Mennekes connector in it. There is no way they can fit the full CCS2 port there, so it can't be changed. So the package they offer is just the port controller circuit board and an adapter.

But it’s useless on a 2018 S until the ECU retrofit has been completed.
True, but you can use the European CCS Combo 2 Retrofit Kit (minus the Type2 to CCS2 adapter) on North American vehicles now if you don't want to hang your hopes on Tesla time. I completed the mod on my 2018 salvaged US Model S back in October. The hard part is getting someone to update the vehicles configuration files, but there are people that will help you do this as well. It works great for those of us without Supercharging enabled or when you don't have a Supercharger nearby.

True, but you can use the European CCS Combo 2 Retrofit Kit (minus the Type2 to CCS2 adapter) on North American vehicles now if you don't want to hang your hopes on Tesla time. I completed the mod on my 2018 salvaged US Model S back in October. The hard part is getting someone to update the vehicles configuration files, but there are people that will help you do this as well. It works great for those of us without Supercharging enabled or when you don't have a Supercharger nearby.
Curious about this process, is it documented somewhere?

The thing that Tesla does in EU is they reprogram the onboard charger (can be performed by ranger on site) as @ucmndd have described and the cost includes CCS adapter.
0FE14FBF-F891-4573-B906-48AEF16AEF48.jpeg

The difference between US port and EU port is quite small (see photos), only the new CCS capable charge port from factory is much larger and hence needs new light cluster as the new S/X currently have.
D8D160D2-EEE7-4617-9A4A-BE4110EBF239.png

4312E4C4-6FD1-4631-B51E-4BC70FA613A6.jpeg

The thing that Tesla does in EU is they reprogram the onboard charger (can be performed by ranger on site) as @ucmndd have described and the cost includes CCS adapter.
View attachment 894823

The difference between US port and EU port is quite small (see photos), only the new CCS capable charge port from factory is much larger and hence needs new light cluster as the new S/X currently have.
View attachment 894824
View attachment 894825
So this is close, but not 100% accurate. The EU CCS Combo 2 Retrofit kit (Pre-2020 S and X) is installed by the EU Rangers and it does come with a CCS2 to Mennekes/Type2 adapter in the kit. However, they do not reprogram the ECU, they actually add/install a new ECU and a wiring harness to attach that ECU to the Charge Controller. This allows the vehicle to communicate with the CCS2 (or CCS1 in North America) connectors/charging equipment. I have attached a picture of what a kit looks like minus the adapter. In North America the CCS2 Adapter is pretty much useless, but the rest of the kit works just fine with CCS 1 chargers. You do not have to do any modifications/replacement to the charge port itself. You do need to have someone change the vehicle's software configuration to allow the vehicle to "see" the new hardware.

Attachments

• X4edited.png
    X4edited.png
    882.8 KB · Views: 138
  • X3 edited.png
    X3 edited.png
    866.6 KB · Views: 79
  • X2edited.png
    X2edited.png
    667.2 KB · Views: 74
  • X1edited.png
    X1edited.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 119
Thanks for correction, this has always been the side of the service as they do not want to disclose the actual steps. I was clarified that they will “upgrade” onboard charger and it requires service computer to reprogram the car.
That is correct, but there are some industrious people here on TMC that have figured out how to reprogram the vehicle without having to take it to a Tesla Service Center. There is even one person that can do it remotely. You just need a computer with an internet connection and a Diagnostic Cable ($50 on Ebay). If anyone is interested I am happy to help you out. Just send me a direct message and I will fill you in.

That is correct, but there are some industrious people here on TMC that have figured out how to reprogram the vehicle without having to take it to a Tesla Service Center. There is even one person that can do it remotely. You just need a computer with an internet connection and a Diagnostic Cable ($50 on Ebay). If anyone is interested I am happy to help you out. Just send me a direct message and I will fill you in.
Also, If anyone knows someone in California (Los Angeles or other areas) that has the ability to complete the config changes in person please let me know here or send me a direct message. I have had several people that purchased the Retrofit Kit that would like to have someone complete the config changes for them. I have remote options for them, but they would prefer to have someone come and do the work in person.

Last edited:
I just had my 2017 Model X (previously upgraded to HW3) upgraded to CCS.

The Tesla mobile technician drove an hour to my house and installed the hardware and adjusted the configuration. The price was $485 with the adapter included. He said it was the first time he’s installed it. I’m going to try to test it today out tomorrow to see if it works.

It works at Electrify America.
I just had my 2017 Model X (previously upgraded to HW3) upgraded to CCS.

The Tesla mobile technician drove an hour to my house and installed the hardware and adjusted the configuration. The price was $485 with the adapter included. He said it was the first time he’s installed it. I’m going to try to test it today out tomorrow to see if it works.

Attachments

• 750732FD-5076-48AC-BA68-1F0000794C36.jpeg
    750732FD-5076-48AC-BA68-1F0000794C36.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 99
I just got my Model S retrofitted today. First one in Central Oregon actually. After the install, I drove to the nearest Electrify America station and with a 30% SoC, I got 114 Kw charging rate. After 5 minutes, I stopped, then drove to the Tesla Supercharger station to finish the session.

20230316_134258.jpg

Reactions: docherf
FWIW - I had my 2015 S retrofitted. Mobile service did it, and had it done within an hour. I would recommend for anyone who has it done, check your AC charging, Super Charging and CCS charging as soon as possible. In my case there were no issues. I charged at a Charge Point and Greenlots CCS right after with no issues.

Having had to use my Setec in anger a couple of times (failed / full-up superchargers), I liked the concept, but not the unreliability of the Setec. (yes I'm paranoid about getting stuck). Will I use this regularly, probably not (I still have FUSC), but it's peace of mind when I'm traveling. It was what I was looking for with the Setec, but as the Setec was always finicky, and I was always playing the software game, it didn't pan out.

Save for a salvage vehicle, which Tesla may not offer to install on, I can't see the point now for a DIY install. $450 + tax and it included the adapter.