Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I’m looking to import a CCS1 adapter from South Korea to North America! I used a package forwarding service but Tesla canceled my order.

I’m hoping someone on here can help me out. I’ll of course cover everything and also pay you for your time.

Please let me know! Thank you!

Reactions: wlee
Hello!

I’m looking to import a CCS1 adapter from South Korea to North America! I used a package forwarding service but Tesla canceled my order.

I’m hoping someone on here can help me out. I’ll of course cover everything and also pay you for your time.

Please let me know! Thank you!

That's very interesting - I wonder why they canceled it. I also wonder what the delay is for releasing it in North America. I suspect there are CCS locations that they have been unable to make compatible and are concerned about liability.

That's very interesting - I wonder why they canceled it. I also wonder what the delay is for releasing it in North America. I suspect there are CCS locations that they have been unable to make compatible and are concerned about liability.
Getting the adapter to work on all North American Tesla cars is going to be messy because it requires a PLC chip in the charge port ECU and there are multiple incompatible versions of the ECU and charge port. It was much easier to ensure that all the cars sold in SK supported it already.

• Informative
Reactions: LoudMusic
This "failure" (if I can call it that) by Tesla not to release a CCS Combo 1 adapter in North America in a timely fashion is (a) puzzling and (b) annoying, to say the least.

I have speculated elsewhere that it is because:
  • The current CCS1 adapter in South Korea does not work with Models S and X (according to the Tesla-SK website.
  • This may be for physical reasons--it appears, to me, that the S/X port cover/door would interfere.
  • It may be taking longer than expected (why?) to develop an adapter that fits the Models S/X charging port area.
  • Tesla understandably wants to release adapters for all models more-or-less simultaneously, and
  • to have plenty of both adapters and the parts necessary for CCS compatibility upgrades (so as to avoid the inevitable hue and cry from the otherwise empty-handed).
Pure speculation by me, but otherwise why hasn't the darn thing been released here? Perhaps a certain responsible length of time is necessary for field testing? OK, fine. But if so Tesla should have announced that, so we are not all left on tenterhooks waiting for the stupid thing; and meanwhile those who truly need one aren't forced into desperate schemes to get their hands on one.

Reactions: kayak1
I guess my philosophy is different. It will happen when it happens if it happens. I will continue to live my life as if it doesn't exist, because for us in North America, it doesn't exist. And it continues to not exist until it exists. When it exists I will buy one, whether I have a use for it or not.

Further, I don't understand anyone making the decision to buy technology which requires additional technology that does not currently exist (for them). Either wait until all the pieces of the puzzle are available, or buy different pieces.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
why hasn't the darn thing been released here?
I think the answer is that they have to prepare different upgrade ECUs for each different North American car configuration. There are at least two different ones needed for Model 3, one of those would work for Model Y, and then there are more permutations for S & X. It's messy and requires resources for electronic design, firmware engineering, and production of these upgrades. I imagine it's not a high priority. The more puzzling thing is why the official Tesla Charging twitter account made their "coming soon" announcement if was not a done deal.

SK was easier because they were able to ship cars with CCS support from the start.

The only case I know that worked recently is someone that had it shipped to a real friend of theirs in Korea, a real home address, and that friend later shipped it to them. You'll need a real person/friend to do this for you, it seems Tesla refuse forwarding services. If I had to guess a reason, it would be so people in other countries don't buy it and later discover it doesn't work for them. My 2020 model 3 does not have CCS support "built-in" as an example.

I got mine today and it works perfectly at Electrify America chargers. Even though we had a regular Korean address when we placed the order they wouldn't process it until my wife called and verified all information on the order, she's Korean and brought the charger with her when flying back. The order was placed through our regular US Tesla account and US Amex card.

I got mine today and it works perfectly at Electrify America chargers. Even though we had a regular Korean address when we placed the order they wouldn't process it until my wife called and verified all information on the order, she's Korean and brought the charger with her when flying back. The order was placed through our regular US Tesla account and US Amex card.
Nice! I had to hire a personal assistant in Korea to do this for me and then ship it to me