Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried the CCS adapter at EA’s station near my home. I’m disappointed with the EA chargers, only one work out of 3 chargers. The handles are beaten up, often doesn’t properly lock in, screen is non-responsive, showing account not find when use Apple wallet. 😮‍💨

Tried the CCS adapter at EA’s station near my home. I’m disappointed with the EA chargers, only one work out of 3 chargers. The handles are beaten up, often doesn’t properly lock in, screen is non-responsive, showing account not find when use Apple wallet. 😮‍💨
Definitely you should download the EA phone app and create an account. Starting sessions from the app is more reliable than using their credit card reader on the charging dispenser.

Definitely you should download the EA phone app and create an account. Starting sessions from the app is more reliable than using their credit card reader on the charging dispenser.
I did download the app and have an account. 2 of the chargers are stuck at initiate charging screen on the app. Not sure if I did something wrong when plug it in. What is the correct way to use the CCS adapter?

I did download the app and have an account. 2 of the chargers are stuck at initiate charging screen on the app. Not sure if I did something wrong when plug it in. What is the correct way to use the CCS adapter?
I just got my own CCS adapter and haven’t had a chance to use it yet with my Model Y.

With a native CCS vehicle, you normally plug in first and then use the app to initiate charging. With the adapter, I think you are supposed to attach the adapter to the plug first and then plug the cable into the car.

I think I watched a video where someone initiated the charge first using the app and then plugged it into their Tesla. I don’t know why they did it that way as opposed to plugging it in first. I plan to try out the adapter myself this coming weekend.

Yeah, EA is spotty. You really do need the app. It tells you what chargers are working and in-service.

I'll be driving from Tucson AZ to Cape Cod in our Tesla MY in about a week and a half. Will use several EA sites along the 2,800 mile long route, just to see how it goes (most co-located with SC sites, just "in case"). Will report back with results.

Rich

• Helpful
Reactions: CaptUAL
I just got my own CCS adapter and haven’t had a chance to use it yet with my Model Y.

With a native CCS vehicle, you normally plug in first and then use the app to initiate charging. With the adapter, I think you are supposed to attach the adapter to the plug first and then plug the cable into the car.

I think I watched a video where someone initiated the charge first using the app and then plugged it into their Tesla. I don’t know why they did it that way as opposed to plugging it in first. I plan to try out the adapter myself this coming weekend.
Swipe to activate on app, then plug in. Don't bother with plug in then credit card reader, it hasn't worked for me.

Swipe to activate on app, then plug in. Don't bother with plug in then credit card reader, it hasn't worked for me.
I'll try to activate on the app first next time.
My other complaint is EA doesn't put a larger sign of the station number on it, I have to park the car and walk out to find out which station is which. I never realized how painful it is to charge at non-Tesla DC stations.

Reactions: cusetownusa and KJD
I'll try to activate on the app first next time.
My other complaint is EA doesn't put a larger sign of the station number on it, I have to park the car and walk out to find out which station is which. I never realized how painful it is to charge at non-Tesla DC stations.
Yes EA seems to make everything harder than it needs to be. For example why is the station number above the screen different than the number by the nozzle. WTF ????

The credit card readers on the EA dispensers are notoriously buggy. However, you don’t need to activate the charge on the app (swipe) before plugging in. You can also plug in first and then activate on the app. In fact, nominally, that’s what they want you to do. By plugging in first, the dispenser negotiates with the car to find out if the vehicle supports “Plug & Charge” (similar to Suoercharger auto-activation). If the vehicle can support Plug&Charge (Ford Mach-e, Porsche Taycan, Audi e-tron, etc.) then great. Otherwise, the station will prompt you on the screen to make a payment or activate the session on the app. Tesla does not support CCS Plug&Charge right now.

The credit card readers on the EA dispensers are notoriously buggy. However, you don’t need to activate the charge on the app (swipe) before plugging in. You can also plug in first and then activate on the app. In fact, nominally, that’s what they want you to do. By plugging in first, the dispenser negotiates with the car to find out if the vehicle supports “Plug & Charge” (similar to Suoercharger auto-activation). If the vehicle can support Plug&Charge (Ford Mach-e, Porsche Taycan, Audi e-tron, etc.) then great. Otherwise, the station will prompt you on the screen to make a payment or activate the session on the app. Tesla does not support CCS Plug&Charge right now.
Well, that's what I did. Plug in with the CCS adapter and then active on the app. I noticed sometime the Tesla logo on the charge port showing blue and sometime showing white. I guess it is connected when the logo showing blue, however once I swipe on the app to activate the charge, the app screen will just stuck at "initiate charging" and won't start to charge.

Does EA support the AutoCharge portion of CCS? (Where it uses the MAC address of the vehicle/charge port to determine who to bill.) It isn't secure like Plug&Charge, but it does make charging easier. (Or maybe it isn't even part of the CCS standard, and it is just something that some charging networks have adopted to make a better user experience.)

Does EA support the AutoCharge portion of CCS? (Where it uses the MAC address of the vehicle/charge port to determine who to bill.) It isn't secure like Plug&Charge, but it does make charging easier. (Or maybe it isn't even part of the CCS standard, and it is just something that some charging networks have adopted to make a better user experience.)
AutoCharge is not part of the CCS standard. It is something that the charging service provider Fastned implemented in Europe along with the charging equipment company ABB. They figured out that they could implement it on top of the existing CCS protocol and it would work with most existing CCS cars. The Plug&Charge system requires additional software and hardware support on the vehicle and is only implemented by some car companies so far although others have said they plan to support it soon.

As far as I know, AutoCharge is not widely implemented. EVgo supported it for awhile but only on dedicated chargers that they installed for GM’s Maven program that leased Bolt EVs to Uber/Lyft drivers.

At least that is my understanding from ~3 years ago. Maybe it’s been adopted by a few other charging providers now but I haven’t heard about it.

EA does not implement AutoCharge and has no plans to as far as I know.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352 and MP3Mike
Finished a 1000+ miles road trip on the memorial weekend, haven't needed to use my CCS adapter. Tesla is building out supercharger like crazy, so many new superchargers pop out compare the similar road trip I did 2 years ago. Never needed to wait to charge and even have flexibility to choose the supercharger base on the food we like to eat.
I'll keep the CCS adapter just for backup, it is nice to have but I think I may not ever need to use it. FMMV.

EA pricing is cheaper than Supercharger peak pricing at 58c/kwh now....
Yeah, I would use EA if I don't have home charging.
But for the road trip 1-2 times a year, supercharger still wins on the easy of use and reliability. It was pretty bad experience when I test my CCS adapter on the EA station, two not working, one only charges 50KW (marked 150KW) and only one working at full speed. Took my at least 15 minutes to switch between plugs to find a good one, and those bulky handles are not fun to play with. I could already imaging my wife yelling at me if I do this on the road trip.

Road trip was from Green Valley AZ to Wellfleet MA, June 4th~8th, in our MY. Distance was 2821 miles. Seventeen Superchargers were used (this wasn’t a race, we took our time), all worked as they should. I tried six Electrify America chargers over a three day period. One failed completely and in one instance I have to move to another stanchion and restart the Electrify America application on my phone as well as well (the app locked solid).

Electrify America is a funny bird. When they work they work just fine. When they don’t, well, they don’t. When the Electrify America site failed, located in Weatherford OK, I had a nearby Supercharger place to go to. Not trusting Electrify America I made sure all my Electrify America stops were near Supercharger locations.

At each Electrify America stop I plugged the adapter onto the CCS1 plug, inserted the plug in the car and accessed the proper stanchion on the app on my phone. One swipe and if the unit worked in a few seconds I had electricity. Power received was excellent.

The reason I didn’t try more Electrify America sites was, one, because my wife really liked the simplicity, reliability and ease of use of the Tesla chargers, and, two, the last couple of days of the trip it poured rain, and we just didn’t want the hassle of dealing with Electrify America.

In short the CCS1 adapter worked just fine. It opens up quite a few locations for us Tesla drivers. I hope Electrify America becomes as reliable as our Supercharger network soon.

Rich

Spouse doing her bit.
dTG8y89.jpg

dipTb9B.jpg

ZTeYm6X.jpg

qxGZ7oL.jpg

Hello!

I’m looking to import a CCS1 adapter from South Korea to North America! I used a package forwarding service but Tesla canceled my order.

I’m hoping someone on here can help me out. I’ll of course cover everything and also pay you for your time.

Please let me know! Thank you!
I used Harumio Korea and received it in 10 days to US just yesterday in fact. No VIN or account access required and sealed in box. Remember it's a forwarding service and they carry various things so don't let the animae stuff scare you off. Type in search bar Tesla and both the CCS adapter and case will show up

Attachments

• 20220609_191459.jpg
    20220609_191459.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220609_191334.jpg
    20220609_191334.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 50