Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 to Tesla Adapter is being developed by Tesla Korea Club.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MKKIM

May 26, 2020
Tesla in Korea have the same charging ports as North American Tesla.
There is a Tesla supercharger(much less than US) in Korea, but due to the recent popularity of Model 3, the supercharger has a queue.

In addition, the Korean government has designated CCS1 as the national standard for fast charging.
Since 2019, public chargers installed in each region will not have a Chademo connector. (ONLY CCS1)

For this reason, many Korean Tesla owners want to be able to use the CCS1 charger in Tesla.

The Tesla Korea Club is trying to develop a "CCS1 to Tesla" adapter.
So far, the actual product has not been released, only the rendering has been released.

No one knows if this will actually work.

I'm hoping Tesla will officially release the CCS1 adapter.

I have a question.
American Tesla owners don't want a CCS1 adapter?
If there is no demand for it, is it because there is enough supercharger network?

CCS1_NA-1.png
CCS1_NA-2.png
CCS1_NA-3.png
CCS1_NA-4.png

I think there would be a lot of demand in the USA for an official adapter from Tesla... especially if it was $100 or less!

I would be slightly worried about any 3rd party solution though because Tesla might be able to disable charging with it, or at least limit it to level 2 speeds. There’s some communication with the Chademo adapter to the car, so Tesla can use that as a validation indicator... obviously the superchargers talk to the car... if a 3rd party adapter didn’t talk to the car Tesla could potentially either block the car from charging (though they might then have issues with their passive level 2 adapter) or more likely just limit charge rate to level 2 speeds. This would “control the risk” that Tesla was exposed to. Could you imagine the headlines if a Model 3 burst into flames and burned down a charger, the car, and maybe some surrounding area? Tesla would be the fall guy, even if it was a knock off adapter from some 3rd party...

Don't see any way this would be under $100. Too much tech, electronics and software for a limited demand device usually means a higher price. I bet it would be $250 or higher.

Possibly. I think the Tesla one is largely expected to be more in the $100 range and passive (in the sense that it’s much less tech in the adapter compared to the Chademo one which basically has a computer in it...)

At least the EU cars have the necessary communication and handshake protocols and hardware built into the vehicle charger so the adapter sold there is essentially a “dumb” one like the level 2 adapter...

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and GSP
OK, I'm a little confused. Becoming more normal at my age. I had thought the J1772 adapter worked on CCS chargers. I know it works at the local Everman Grocer, which I thought was CCS. How about for Chargepoint? First trans-continental trip coming up, Pensacola to San Diego. What other kind of adapter would be prudent for a trip like this? Thanks, and forgive me if this drifts us a little bit off-topic.

I think there would be a lot of demand in the USA for an official adapter from Tesla... especially if it was $100 or less!

I would be slightly worried about any 3rd party solution though because Tesla might be able to disable charging with it, or at least limit it to level 2 speeds. There’s some communication with the Chademo adapter to the car, so Tesla can use that as a validation indicator... obviously the superchargers talk to the car... if a 3rd party adapter didn’t talk to the car Tesla could potentially either block the car from charging (though they might then have issues with their passive level 2 adapter) or more likely just limit charge rate to level 2 speeds. This would “control the risk” that Tesla was exposed to. Could you imagine the headlines if a Model 3 burst into flames and burned down a charger, the car, and maybe some surrounding area? Tesla would be the fall guy, even if it was a knock off adapter from some 3rd party...

I assume you know nothing of the aftermarket chargers offered for the roadster. CAN SR/JR/Jdemo

I assume you know nothing of the aftermarket chargers offered for the roadster. CAN SR/JR/Jdemo

I don’t, but I also know that the Roadster is kinda half abandoned by Tesla. I know they still offer engineering support and at one point a battery upgrade, but I know there are also a lot of third party shops that seem to be the “go to” when Roadster owners need work...

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
OK, I'm a little confused. Becoming more normal at my age. I had thought the J1772 adapter worked on CCS chargers. I know it works at the local Everman Grocer, which I thought was CCS. How about for Chargepoint? First trans-continental trip coming up, Pensacola to San Diego. What other kind of adapter would be prudent for a trip like this? Thanks, and forgive me if this drifts us a little bit off-topic.

It will physically fit, but not provide useful connectivity. CCS uses only the signaling pins of J1772 - all the power comes from the two big DC pins on the bottom that the J1772 adapter doesn’t connect with.

CCS also has its own digital communications standard, which S and X cars built prior to May 2019 don’t understand. The EU chargeport was changed to include the necessary hardware at that time; it remains to be seen whether US (and Korean) cars got updated at the same time.

That’s why the EU adapter can be simple metal connections with no additional computers, and why older cars need a chargeport replacement to use it.

The CCS standard in the USA must be liquid cooled and as such cannot have an adapter (or if it did would have to be capped much lower than people would be happy with.

In EU it is not an adapter.
You’re right about the 3, it’s the S/X that got an adapter. The good news is, it seems that a passive air cooled adapter can do over 100kW (135kW in this case...)

Tesla Model S Takes 135 kW Using CCS Combo 2 Adapter

The two large problems with the Chademo adapter are lack of plugs (there might be a lot of locations, but they tend to only have one chademo at new sites now where as they might have four or more CCS) and the other is the 50kW max limit...

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I always felt that Tesla did a great job, too bad it was not the standard (S,X,3,Y not roadster) but yeah that would happen never.

I don’t know that it’s really settled yet. The Monthly Plug Sales Scoreboard is apparently gone because they can’t get a lot of the data now, but Tesla is still outselling all the real long range EVs by a lot, and has a much bigger Charging network.

Unless that situation changes, Tesla plugs stand a pretty good chance of becoming the defacto US standard regardless of what the standards body run by the other automakers decides.