Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 to Tesla Adapter is being developed by Tesla Korea Club.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t, but I also know that the Roadster is kinda half abandoned by Tesla. I know they still offer engineering support and at one point a battery upgrade, but I know there are also a lot of third party shops that seem to be the “go to” when Roadster owners need work...
You’d be correct. The roadster is the stepchild that’s being turned into the EV1. bought back and crushed/parted out.

2 companies make charging adapters for the car. One a full chademo solution to the tune of ~5k$
The other being a member here sells the “Can SR / CAN jr”.

the issue with ccs is the fact that it take an authentication protocol. Does this adapter spoof a profile for another car as Tesla doesn’t officially support ccs1?

as someone that owns the official Tesla chademo adapter and can SR+JR, I would be surprised if a ccs adapter was less than 500$.

Reactions: Fiddler
I would be interested in this... But regarding the authentication protocol and the like.. That becomes more interesting as ISO15118 / (AKA Plug & Charge)...

So, if it can do a profile for the adapter as a car so that those systems will work, that takes care of it... Or, just use RFID/App based authentication. Free CCS chargers are few and far between in my part of the country...

Reactions: ra88it
Possibly. I think the Tesla one is largely expected to be more in the $100 range and passive (in the sense that it’s much less tech in the adapter compared to the Chademo one which basically has a computer in it...)

At least the EU cars have the necessary communication and handshake protocols and hardware built into the vehicle charger so the adapter sold there is essentially a “dumb” one like the level 2 adapter...

Isn't the CCS2 adapter in Europe ~200 Euros if your car already supports it or ~450 Euros if your car needs a hardware retrofit to support CCS?

I would expect anything for CCS1 for NA cars to be similarly priced.

When I bought my tesla, I thought I would use the Superchargers a lot. But 99% of driving is done with just charging at home with no range anxiety. For long distance travels, I just take the family ICE. 700 mile battery will be a game changer.
What ICE car do you have that has a 700 mile range? :eek:Also your kids don't have to pee for over 8 hours?:D

When I bought my tesla, I thought I would use the Superchargers a lot. But 99% of driving is done with just charging at home with no range anxiety. For long distance travels, I just take the family ICE. 700 mile battery will be a game changer.

When I first received my M3 this is what I thought I would do. Yet, here I am, five months later, taking the Tesla coast to coast. Owning this car has changed my perspective on climate - and fossil fuels in particular. In my mind's eye ICE cars have turned into unending lines of rolling gasoline fires. I would rather stop more often - and accept the benefits along with the inconvenience of that - than contribute to that. I hope that this will be an accelerating phenomenon as more people are introduced to the EV experience.

I had one of those - 800+ mile per tank VW TDI. And I used to drive road trips straight through as much as I could - eat in the car on the road, stop as little as possible. There’s no question it is faster.

But after doing both, I’d much rather do a Tesla road trip.

The combination of Autopilot and breaks every couple hours means I don’t feel worn out and loopy from a day of driving, the food sitting in restaurants while the car charges is both better and more varied, and the trip is easier on the bladder, too.

This is upside-down world.

The Model 3 was the best road trip vehicle on the market. Right up until the Model Y started shipping. ;) Well if you like land-yachts the newest S&X can hang, too.

I had one of those - 800+ mile per tank VW TDI. And I used to drive road trips straight through as much as I could - eat in the car on the road, stop as little as possible. There’s no question it is faster.

But after doing both, I’d much rather do a Tesla road trip.

The combination of Autopilot and breaks every couple hours means I don’t feel worn out and loopy from a day of driving, the food sitting in restaurants while the car charges is both better and more varied, and the trip is easier on the bladder, too.
That’s the thing, if you measure the time by when the vehicle physically arrives it is shorter (but since the enhance SC patch last year, that’s even debatable).

If you measure by when you body & mind is able to re-engage with the world, it definitely isn’t shorter. Which is a clear indication I’m safer in the Model 3.

This is upside-down world.

The Model 3 was the best road trip vehicle on the market. Right up until the Model Y started shipping. ;) Well if you like land-yachts the newest S&X can hang, too.

Since we’re already talking about quality of experience, I’ll gladly trade the fractionally longer charge times of a Raven X in trade for the massive picture window to watch the world and five zones of selectable data.

But whatever makes you happy. :)

In addition, the Korean government has designated CCS1 as the national standard for fast charging.
Since 2019, public chargers installed in each region will not have a Chademo connector. (ONLY CCS1)

For this reason, many Korean Tesla owners want to be able to use the CCS1 charger in Tesla...

The fact that CCS 2 software/hardware support and a passive CCS 2 adapter already exists for Type 2 cars indicates that true Tesla CCS 1 support is only a 'marketing decision' away. Perhaps the Korean situation will provide the necessary push for Tesla to do it themselves? (Kind of like CHAdeMO was a basic requirement for the Japanese market...)

One thing that would be nice in a CCS environment would be some setting for limiting maximum power. Sounds counterproductive. But in the case where there is a huge pricing disparity between certain max power tiers (e.g., EA greater than 75 kW), I'd gladly give up a few kW of peak rate to get a factor of three lower charging cost.

The fact that CCS 2 software/hardware support and a passive CCS 2 adapter already exists for Type 2 cars indicates that true Tesla CCS 1 support is only a 'marketing decision' away. Perhaps the Korean situation will provide the necessary push for Tesla to do it themselves? (Kind of like CHAdeMO was a basic requirement for the Japanese market...)
1) That "marketing decision" requires a hardware adaptor,
2) The "marketing decision" is in part outside of Tesla's hands.
3) Extremely likely that support for older S&X will require direct
modification of the vehicle to use it.

The good news is that the Model 3&Y, and newest S&X, are unlikely to require the $495 monstrosity level of CHADEMO, unless the deal to open up CCS 1 to adapters ended up requiring the liquid cooling support.

Well, it didn't just occur to me, but with the continuing direction of the standards discussion in this thread...perhaps I should ask why any other standard than that developed by Tesla be imposed, or even considered. Let me see... largest existing EV charging infrastructure, and by far the preponderant majority of EV's on the road. Defacto standard is already Tesla. Why in the world should Tesla Nation be the ones to adapt? But, gee this point has already been made, and in this thread. Forgive me for restating it. Cheers.

1) That "marketing decision" requires a hardware adaptor,

True. It would be similar to the one they have already designed and built for Europe.

2) The "marketing decision" is in part outside of Tesla's hands.

Tesla already does things that are non-Standard. Including the way they did Supercharging on Type 2 connections, supporting 277V L2 charging, supporting > 16 amp L1 charging, etc. Why should providing an adapter be any different?

3) Extremely likely that support for older S&X will require direct
modification of the vehicle to use it.

Not my problem. :D

The good news is that the Model 3&Y, and newest S&X, are unlikely to require the $495 monstrosity level of CHADEMO, unless the deal to open up CCS 1 to adapters ended up requiring the liquid cooling support.

I'm not even sure what 'liquid cooling support' means. The Euro CCS2 adapter supports nearly 400 amps. (Per several youtube reviews.) More than sufficient, and way better than the 125 amp limit of the current CHAdeMO adapter. A CCS1 version wouldn't be any different.

Tesla already does things that are non-Standard. Including the way they did Supercharging on Type 2 connections, supporting 277V L2 charging, supporting > 16 amp L1 charging, etc. Why should providing an adapter be any different?
Because it involves connecting to 3rd party's hardware in
non-spec ways, which is something none of your examples do.

And it is unlikely that there will be much help given relevant body. The whole rationale behind CCS in North America was to freeze Tesla out, and hope they died, and slow walk BEV development to the pace that all the ICE manufacturers were more comfortable with and keep control away from the Crazy Guy that wanted BEVs now.

There is some handwaving in the spec about all sorts of future potential payment options, but that is all vapourware and normally those sorts of specs end up needing to be amended anyway when you go to try implement anything based on them.

The only reason those chargers exist right now in any sort of numbers is because VW got caught defrauding the EPA and were forced to put that money out there. Giving Crazy Guy's cars direct access to the chargers lends value to Crazy Guy's cars. Sure it lends a lot of value to their network, but anything to try to slow the walk......

Last edited:
Well, it didn't just occur to me, but with the continuing direction of the standards discussion in this thread...perhaps I should ask why any other standard than that developed by Tesla be imposed, or even considered. Let me see... largest existing EV charging infrastructure, and by far the preponderant majority of EV's on the road. Defacto standard is already Tesla. Why in the world should Tesla Nation be the ones to adapt? But, gee this point has already been made, and in this thread. Forgive me for restating it. Cheers.
Because Tesla won’t let other cars use Tesla supercharger network. Imagine different gas pumps existed for Toyota because Toyota has more cars than any other company. Toyota owners will have to only go to Toyota pumps while other brands share gas pumps.