Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 to Tesla Adapter is being developed by Tesla Korea Club.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I can't find the article right now but I remember reading something a long time ago that Tesla asked the SK govt to support the use of type 2 (and maybe CCS type 2 as well) as that's what their cars had at the time. When they ended up going with CCS 1 that's when Tesla decided to begin their transition as it didn't make sense for them to make cars that supported CCS type 2 yet not have available chargers there, especially for the Model 3.

I do kind of wish they went with CCS type 2 (and even one of their cars had just a Type 2 AC port) but for whatever reason they went with type 1 as they were already deployed by the time the decision was made.

edit: it would be cool if someone with time on their hands (and money to burn) try the following crazy combination (I think I saw someone else mention this as well):

US to EU Tesla (unofficial adapter): NEW! Tesla Supercharger Adapter – European to US – EVSE Adapters
Tesla CCS type 2 adapter (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/CCS/CCS_Combo_2_Adapter_en.pdf)
CCS type 2 to CCS type 1 adapter (US/Korea/Taiwan to European CCS Combo 1 to CCS Combo 2 EV Quick Charger Adapter – EVSE Adapters)

Then daisy-chain them all together and see if anything works. Of course this also sounds dangerous as well. However the makers of the adapter have tested it in line with the EU Chademo adapter (which works for them).

Electrically, even if it works (which I have no idea if it would) there is likely a software flag on the car side to block CCS charging for US spec cars.

Last edited:
I would LOVE a CCS Combo 1 adapter and would buy it at nearly any price today.

Tesla is one company supporting one standard. I recall a similar example: Betamax vs VHS. It doesn't really matter how big Tesla is if there are more companies (with money to burn, originating outside of the EV market, like VW) aiming to take their piece of the pie.

Last I checked, Tesla won't let other companies make money off of their connector. Name a single Tesla compatible charger with the tesla connector. How many companies make L2 home chargers now? How about DC fast charger companies as more-and-more companies (i.e. gas stations, like Petro Can here in Canada) install them? It's because of this that Tesla will lose the standards war.

When that happens, my bet is definitely on CCS combo 1. I really wish Tesla would just admit that and make an adapter so we don't have to fight this battle. We can just choose the easier to use, faster, and more convenient Tesla superchargers, and still use the adapter for the less convenient, but possibly more plentiful (in some areas), CCS DC fast chargers popping up all around.

My take is that Tesla is making it better for us, we needn't worry about needing a charge and finding the super charger filled with plug in hybrids. Other than CCS, which would be great, we can use anything and while the destination charges can be hogged, super chargers can't be

Reactions: APotatoGod
Unless another major manufacture works with Tesla to use Tesla's plug, I don't see the Tesla connector being the standard when every other manufacture is using the CCS Combo 2 in the US already.

The USA is driven by supply and demand. At some point these charging station will want to make money. If you owned a charging station and looked at this graph, what plug would you install?

upload_2020-6-23_8-43-22.png

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
The USA is driven by supply and demand. At some point these charging station will want to make money. If you owned a charging station and looked at this graph, what plug would you install?

View attachment 555230

I would install CCS because the Tesla plugs only work on Teslas. CCS works with the other fast charge vehicles. The future of EVs will not just be Tesla cars so like I said, unless someone like Toyota works with Tesla so their future EVs can use the Tesla plug and the supercharger network, third party chargers will not really want to install Tesla plugs. There's just too many plugs, J1778, CCS-1, CCS-2, Chadamo, etc. As a third party charging company I can only install like 2 plugs per stall. I'm going to do J1778 and CCS-2 because that supports everyone else besides Teslas. Everyone else would be forced to use my station while Tesla owners have alternatives and don't really need my chargers.

I would install CCS because the Tesla plugs only work on Teslas. CCS works with the other fast charge vehicles. The future of EVs will not just be Tesla cars so like I said, unless someone like Toyota works with Tesla so their future EVs can use the Tesla plug and the supercharger network, third party chargers will not really want to install Tesla plugs. There's just too many plugs, J1778, CCS-1, CCS-2, Chadamo, etc. As a third party charging company I can only install like 2 plugs per stall. I'm going to do J1778 and CCS-2 because that supports everyone else besides Teslas. Everyone else would be forced to use my station while Tesla owners have alternatives and don't really need my chargers.

Toyota going with EVs? Not anytime soon, they don't think there's demand for them, and they are sticking with their PHEVs to death.

So... Using the numbers in the graph - You would like to limit your potential customers to 43,869 instead of 192,250?

I would suggest installing J1772 instead of J1778. ;)

So you would open your business to cater to 10% of the market instead of 90% of the market. Got it... Good luck on your future business endeavors.

Here is an graphic for the people wondering what a CCS plug is like. Do you think they designed that with "expanding EV adoption" in mind?... Or made the largest ugliest plug they could design?

View attachment 555310

Makes me think of Dune. Something Harkonen about it

I believe the 150kW CCS chargers are cooled. AFAIK, the limit for uncooled CCS and CHAdeMO cables is 200A. 200A @ 400V is about 80kW.
That's correct. I was misremembering, both the 150kW and 350kW EA units have cooled cables.

Either way, the CCS2 adapter used in Europe pulls a demonstrated 368A, at least for a short period of time. That was good for 130 kW into a Model X in this video. And of course that adapter is not liquid-cooled.

That's correct. I was misremembering, both the 150kW and 350kW EA units have cooled cables.

Either way, the CCS2 adapter used in Europe pulls a demonstrated 368A, at least for a short period of time. That was good for 130 kW into a Model X in this video. And of course that adapter is not liquid-cooled.

I would buy one that did the same as the CHAdeMO - 50kW - for 'just in case' use where there is no SuC close and I don't have time to wait for L2 charging. CCS is expanding rapidly and in some locations where the SuC are scarce...

I think the issue with not just adding a Tesla plug is having to work with Tesla. Even if Tesla doesn’t want a financial cut, I suspect they have terms they want to come to agreement on... just look at the partnership with EVGo to install Tesla plugs, EVGo had to change their pricing plan for Tesla users to just a basic per minute or per kWh cost with no “connection fee.” There obviously was some negotiation going on there... a plus for Tesla owners to have simple and clear fee structure... but probably a negative for EVGo (until they realize more people will use the chargers) and not just a “install every station with that plug” kind of thing....

Also to note, I believe the EVGo Tesla plugs are only 50kW... so basically a Chademo option without needing the adapter...

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think the issue with not just adding a Tesla plug is having to work with Tesla. Even if Tesla doesn’t want a financial cut, I suspect they have terms they want to come to agreement on... just look at the partnership with EVGo to install Tesla plugs, EVGo had to change their pricing plan for Tesla users to just a basic per minute or per kWh cost with no “connection fee.” There obviously was some negotiation going on there... a plus for Tesla owners to have simple and clear fee structure... but probably a negative for EVGo (until they realize more people will use the chargers) and not just a “install every station with that plug” kind of thing....

Also to note, I believe the EVGo Tesla plugs are only 50kW... so basically a Chademo option without needing the adapter...
EVgo has literally bolted a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter on the side of their stations. The only change is that the adapter has a long Tesla cable attached. So, of course, it has the same 125A limitation as the Tesla adapter you can buy. It doesn't matter though - the stations that use that bolted on adapter are already limited to 125A output, both CHAdeMO and CCS.