Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 to Tesla Adapter is being developed by Tesla Korea Club.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... Using the numbers in the graph - You would like to limit your potential customers to 43,869 instead of 192,250?
Show me an after-market company making tesla-connector equipped DC fast chargers that do not use the ChaDeMo adapter, and your argument is valid.

I have never seen one, and I've been looking. Perhaps not hard enough. I don't know if Tesla even lets you use their connector, do they? Did they open source that?

If Tesla won't let you install a Tesla connector on your DC fast charger, how COULD you build a DC fast charging network to support that? I suppose could you bill by kWh while using a tesla-branded L2 wall connector, but we're discussing options for DC fast charging outside of superchargers, not L2.

Again, I stand by my statement that unless Tesla opens up the use of their connector to 3rd parties, the CCS Combo 1 plug will become the standard in a very short time while companies look to make money on EV fast charging.

Show me an after-market company making tesla-connector equipped DC fast chargers that do not use the ChaDeMo adapter, and your argument is valid.

I have never seen one, and I've been looking. Perhaps not hard enough. I don't know if Tesla even lets you use their connector, do they? Did they open source that?

If Tesla won't let you install a Tesla connector on your DC fast charger, how COULD you build a DC fast charging network to support that? I suppose could you bill by kWh while using a tesla-branded L2 wall connector, but we're discussing options for DC fast charging outside of superchargers, not L2.

Again, I stand by my statement that unless Tesla opens up the use of their connector to 3rd parties, the CCS Combo 1 plug will become the standard in a very short time while companies look to make money on EV fast charging.

Hmm. Does EVGO not install Tesla connectors on some of their fast chargers.

First Look At EVgo Fast Charging With New Built-In Tesla Connector

Did you look at what EVgo did? They literally bolted a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter on the side of their charging station. The only difference is that they put a longer Tesla cable on the adapter and put the adapter inside a box.

So was Tesla OK with this?. Seems like a reasonable approach. Still limited to 50 KW but hey. It works. I would love to know more about any collaboration between EVGO and Tesla on this.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I would install CCS because the Tesla plugs only work on Teslas. CCS works with the other fast charge vehicles. The future of EVs will not just be Tesla cars so like I said, unless someone like Toyota works with Tesla so their future EVs can use the Tesla plug and the supercharger network, third party chargers will not really want to install Tesla plugs. There's just too many plugs, J1778, CCS-1, CCS-2, Chadamo, etc. As a third party charging company I can only install like 2 plugs per stall. I'm going to do J1778 and CCS-2 because that supports everyone else besides Teslas. Everyone else would be forced to use my station while Tesla owners have alternatives and don't really need my chargers.

Wait. You want to install CCS-2. A European charging standard.
And J1778 (https://www.amazon.com/Selling-Soluble-Fabricafrican-Colourful-DOBTSore/dp/B07WFFXSD1) A type of lace?

It will be pretty, but I doubt your charging station will get much business in New York.

The CCS standard in the USA must be liquid cooled and as such cannot have an adapter (or if it did would have to be capped much lower than people would be happy with.
So this fast charger has liquid cooling for the one cable (CCS), but not the other (CHAdeMO)…? I never even noticed that when I attended the ribbon cutting to open three of these charging stations between here and Las Vegas. Huh.

CCS & CHAdeMO.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and lUtriaNt
Did you look at what EVgo did? They literally bolted a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter on the side of their charging station. The only difference is that they put a longer Tesla cable on the adapter and put the adapter inside a box.

At the two EVgo sites in Los Altos, the CHAdeMO adapters are simply off the shelf units attached to a flexible cable. There is a housing mounted on one side of each station to keep the adapter somewhat protected from the elements when not in use. One of the sites also has a colocated Supercharger site under construction. When completed, I doubt EVgo will get much Tesla business.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
At the two EVgo sites in Los Altos, the CHAdeMO adapters are simply off the shelf units attached to a flexible cable. There is a housing mounted on one side of each station to keep the adapter somewhat protected from the elements when not in use. One of the sites also has a colocated Supercharger site under construction. When completed, I doubt EVgo will get much Tesla business.
Right. That was the first effort - adapter "on a string". Then they implemented the second type where they actually bolted the adapter in a fixed position on the side and put a long Tesla cable on the adapter. There will be additional iterations of this strategy to support different charger manufacturers. So far, the only ones with the Tesla adapter bolted on are ABB chargers. They don't have the solution yet for the other widely used charger type made by BTC. EVgo's strategy is centered on people needing semi-fast charging within metropolitan areas. They have only ventured into rural stations with CEC State funding and they have not deployed any charging stations above 80kW. To the extent that people need semi-fast charging and there are no convenient Superchargers available, I'm sure there will be some Tesla drivers who elect to use these stations with built-in or provided adapters.

So this fast charger has liquid cooling for the one cable (CCS), but not the other (CHAdeMO)…? I never even noticed that when I attended the ribbon cutting to open three of these charging stations between here and Las Vegas. Huh.

View attachment 566149

Not sure what I’m looking at here. The cable on the left looks like a CCS. The one on the right looks like a bolted on Chademo cable with Tesla tail. Did they simply do away with the Chademo connecter here?

Found this and ordered on Alibaba as their own sebsite is not working

wanted to share if anyone else was looking

Ccs 1 Adapter / Dc Combo Adapter - Buy Ccs Adapter,Ccs Adapter For Tesla,Dc Combo Adapter Product on Alibaba.com

Someone has received theirs and hasn't had good luck with it so far. Details in this thread:

Unfortunately, the adapter didn't work work for me (Model 3). I went to two different Electrify America stations made by BTC Power and one eVgo station made by ABB (industry standard stations). If the car was left unlocked, the error on the charger screen is communications related and the charging session won't start. If the car is locked, then the error on the charger screen is a proximity error and the charging session won't start. I tried several different combinations at each charger, and spent about 45 minutes on the phone with EA support. It just wouldn't work...