Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS2 for M3, adaptor for X and S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nikki Gordon Bloomfield of Transport Evolved has posted an explainer video on Youtube.
Looks like the Superchargers will have combination cables that are backwards compatible and you will be able to purchase a CCS2 adapter for other charging networks.
Outside of the USA and Japan, I think this is a big blow for the CHADEMO standard, as there will be little incentive for charge network owners and hosts to have CHADEMO when Nissan and Mitsubishi are the only manufacturers building with that standard.

Reactions: Chuq and alexeiw123
This also means Model 3 will be directly compatible with NRMA’s fast charger network. Yippee!!

Sorry Chademo, you lost.

Yeah, I pretty much see Chademo as done, perhaps it can survive in Japan. Really the Leaf is the only car currently shipping with Chademo, if you don't include the Outlander which doesn't even need DCFC and the Kia Soul which is about to be updated and will no doubt change to CCS.

Chademo = the betamax of fast charging plugs.
Interesting analogy... although Betamax cassettes were smaller than VHS, whereas those Chademo plugs are stonkingly huge :p

I’ve read a few articles proclaiming that Chademo is technically superior to CCS2 for various reasons, but it’s kind of irrelevant. CCS2 works, has a roadmap to higher charging power, and is becoming the de-facto standard outside of USA, China and Japan. Tesla adopting CCS2 will be the tipping point for it globally.

Just waking this thread up again.. have and S/X owners been able to get a CCS2 adapter and charger retrofit done? Was told at Brisbane in June/July that the parts had not arrived in country yet, and right now they're tail-up trying to get Model 3's out (I assume) so I can't get any sense out of them.

OK, I just managed to get someone from Brisbane service who went off and asked about it.. Mine is definitely exists and is coming, they just can't say when :-( They've marked my account for contact when it does.

I assume "older" must mean the pre-2016-facelift (dual-charger) S but I didn't ask about that. I can see it would affect the retrofit of the electronics internally.