Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CD player for Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unsuccessful so far in getting my March 2021 Tesla 3 to recognize/play NAV-TV USB CD player (v2) plugged into USB-C port. Power is there, but no uplink.
Any ideas? Need some sort of Bluetooth transmitter? Loathe to copy CDS to thumb drive and lose full sound.

also, if you really do mean old school cd players, its known that batch audio extraction (when you are not listening realtime; but are letting the drive try and retry sectors to get them cleanly, then assemble the parts into .wav audio files) is more reliable than streaming.

cd's dont have checksums (per se) and so extraction - getting the audio 'out' of the plastic media - requires multiple re-reads of the same sector to ensure the data it read is correct (consistent).

once you extract data to usb stick and save as .flac files, they are every bit (lol) as good as the source. if you expand flac its bit-perfect compared to original wave.

so, no worries. just use cd audio extraction tools and save as .flac files

Audio CDs have a special format that is not similar to FAT/NTFS/EXT4 and they don't have traditional WAV/FLAC type "files". The car is looking for standard computer files on a standard drive, not audio tracks on an audio disc. Your drive will probably work if you put WAV/FLAC/MP3 files on a CDR but surely no one at Tesla would have ever expected someone to find an old audio CD try to read it directly.

But as others said, just rip it to FLAC and you'll actually have better quality than the original disc because most read errors are corrected in the process. And honestly, if you can tell the difference between FLAC and a moderate quality MP3 you probably aren't driving fast enough.

shouldn't be too hard to hookup a classic analog output portable CD player to one of those analog to Bluetooth converters...
I presume that's better than the FM modulator method.

but yeah, I just rip once, to FLAC and play those files. Or put a bunch of CDs in my iphone and play those.

Reactions: APotatoGod
shouldn't be too hard to hookup a classic analog output portable CD player to one of those analog to Bluetooth converters...
I presume that's better than the FM modulator method.
Yes, but try finding a bluetooth transmitter that actually works with a tesla. Tons of those devices on amazon or ebay or alibaba or whatever, but only a few of them actually can transmit to a tesla, and the few that work require more than a little fiddling every single time you want to connect, so much so that one (at least me) gives up pretty fast. A cheapo usb or a phone bluetooth connection works 1000 times better.

Way back when I got my model 3 (3 years ago), the USB system didn't work hardly at all, so I was determined to find one of these transmitters to play a DAP with. The first one didn't work at all, so I got a newer upgraded model, which also didn't work (BTW all of these were confirmed working with other devices, just not with the tesla). So I got on kind of a spree on amazon, and bought about 6 more of these of varying prices and capabilities. Most also didn't work. I did find one that worked, however, every time you wanted to use it, you had to turn the device on in receive mode, connect it as if it were he first time (the car would not remember it), and then connect your device, power it on and start playing something, then you could switch it to transmit mode, and sometimes it would work. If you had your device connected before switching it on or not playing it wouldn't work and you'd have to do the whole thing again. I tried getting used to all that for about a week, but it was extremely frustrating and I quickly went to streaming stuff from the phone. They got the USB system working, sort of, maybe 6 months later.

BTW as I mentioned - this experience is from nearly 3 years ago - things may have changed since then. If anyone knows of a viable bluetooth transmitter solution that works easily reliably, let us know!

Tesla’s awful interface to play the music.

I still have a large black binder filled with cds and would love to play them in my car to feel nostalgic. No tape player though, that’s just bad technology.

Why do you think a CD interface would be any better?

It'd just take up more space, and hold a ton less music, than WAV or FLAC ripped from CD to a USB key would.... plus give you another moving part in the car that could break.

i guess then it is surprising that BT mixers aren't more prevalent, though I believe they exist, allowing multiple BT input streams to combine to a single BT output stream... could always piece that functionality together in the analog domain, but nicer to have a single small adapter do it.

• Informative
The NAV-TV v2 works fine in my April 2018 Model 3. Plug it in, select USB, the device shows up with numbered tracks. I ripped my 500 personal CDs to a thumb drive, but we use the NAV-TV to play library books on disk on long drives. It fits perfectly in the center console.

I verified that my NAV-TV v2 is working as follows

The NAV-TV does not present itself to the USB bus until a disc is inserted.

1) Windows 10 -
Plugged in, nothing happened.
Inserted CD, showed up as AUDIO (D:) with Track01.WAV to Track22.WAV

2) Model 3
Plugged in, nothing happened.
USB shows the usual albums on my thumb drive
Inserted CD
A Change button shows up to the right of USB on the screen upper left
Selected Change,, got a choice of two USB devices
0 MB (22 songs)
0 MB (6998 songs)
Selected the 22 song device, saw Track01.WAV through Track22.WAV

• Informative
The issue with the Bluetooth adapters is that Tesla supports only one paired Bluetooth device. Pair the adapter to the Tesla MCU and your phone will no longer be connected for calls/audio.
This is THE WORST thing about the car. If you are anywhere else but the PHONE input, the phone is not connected the the sound system anymore so if you get a call, you can't use the audio system to listen or speak.

This is THE WORST thing about the car. If you are anywhere else but the PHONE input, the phone is not connected the the sound system anymore so if you get a call, you can't use the audio system to listen or speak.
I'm not sure what you mean by "anywhere else". Do you mean a different audio source? Because that seems to work for me - I use the usb source most of the time and have no problem getting calls through the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I'm not sure what you mean by "anywhere else". Do you mean a different audio source? Because that seems to work for me - I use the usb source most of the time and have no problem getting calls through the car.
Yes. If you are in streaming music, or USB or tunein, etc, etc you don't have bluetooth sound from your phone. You also can't have another bluetooth device connected at the same time.