Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CD player for Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I plug in my Apple stand-alone, USB-powered CD player and get audio out of the Model 3's speakers somehow, without ripping or otherwise investing time or money into more labor intensive intermediary conversion methods?
No. There is no codec that would control the CD player and convert the stream.

Simply throwing a large batch of files onto a flash drive isn't a whole lot of work. There are some formats that the system doesn't support (Apple Lossless being one), but can be easily converted using a free program called xACT.

I can get more in-depth if you want, but that can get you started.

ETA: a thread showed up for me where is looks like a Model S owner found one that worked: A CD player that works via USB - finally!!!

It can be quite tiring having to sift through snarky posts disrespecting the OP's sincere quest trying to play CDs in his Tesla.

So with some trepidation I'd like to ask a similar question:
Can I plug in my Apple stand-alone, USB-powered CD player and get audio out of the Model 3's speakers somehow, without ripping or otherwise investing time or money into more labor intensive intermediary conversion methods?

Thanks, C.
The external superdrive? Nope. Maybe if it was a data cd with mp3 files.... but there is no support for Audio CDs.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Should be possible to find a CD player/server with RF/Wifi remote that you could squirt audio into a BT adapter (or FM modulator). Like a Brennan (thebrennan.com). There are others. I have an older discontinued HiFidelio/Olive that can do this. Cost me about $80 used on ebay. Added benefit is that it is also a CD ripper/server/FLAC-MP3 maker.

Why couldn't Tesla just throw in an aux port so we had some CHOICES?

because it's not 2006 anymore and nobody is still rocking a Zune?

You've got lots of choices.

USB storage (for max quality lossless playback)

Tidal, Spotify, Slacker, and Intune streaming apps built into the car for local streaming

Any of a bazillion streaming apps (or local content) over BT from your phone for 3rd party streaming

Reactions: Gauss Guzzler
because it's not 2006 anymore and nobody is still rocking a Zune?

You've got lots of choices.

USB storage (for max quality lossless playback)

Tidal, Spotify, Slacker, and Intune streaming apps built into the car for local streaming

Any of a bazillion streaming apps (or local content) over BT from your phone for 3rd party streaming
You forgot terrestrial FM radio!