Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CDN Model 3 delivery estimate date change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 'beginning of the end' starts at the date of the 200,000'th US deilvery from what i can tell.

If that's the case, then it's only the US S and X model sales that's cannibalizing the US federal incentives. If there is still a long way to go before 200k, it would be better to fulfill Canadian orders, especially while Tesla hasn't ramped up to their potential assembly capacity.

Once Tesla breaches 200k units, then going back to fulfilling only US orders makes sense.

Approximately:

$80k CDN + tax

35000 Car
9000 Battery
5000 Dual
5000 Pup
5000 Eap
1500 19”
1000 Paint
1000 Delivery

$62,500 USD

That's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for most Cannucks. Even more reasonable builds of the car are coming in at $60k+ before taxes but also before EV Rebates (which could be gone in 6 months...).

Really leaves all but the most dedicated enthusiasts looking at this car seriously. That being said... I'm still on board :D!

Reactions: Falkirk and 03DSG
Let's be honest it will be a huge premium to get a Model 3 spec'ed out the way most of us would like it compared to a 2018 Leaf that would be very capable for most of our driving needs 99% of the time. Makes it tempting to consider. But then stop and compare that to a base Model 3. At $45k it will be so much nicer than every other EV. RWD isn't optimal but with a good set of winter tires it will be fine, and it will offer better performance than any would be competitors while looking like a car you'd be proud to drive. The base car will also hold it's value better when it's time to sell.

The only problem is that AP is REALLY cool. I gotta have it. If I have AP I really should have the LR battery to make it the ultimate road trip car. And to make it perfect I might as well add AWD. I don't need PUP but if they threw in Sirius capabilities I would definitely grab it.

If that's the case, then it's only the US S and X model sales that's cannibalizing the US federal incentives. If there is still a long way to go before 200k, it would be better to fulfill Canadian orders, especially while Tesla hasn't ramped up to their potential assembly capacity.

Once Tesla breaches 200k units, then going back to fulfilling only US orders makes sense.

Rumour has it they may try and push the 200,000’th US delivery to very early 3’rd quarter. Right after July 1’st. Rumour also has it that without something like the ‘Canadian solution’ and overseas S/X they will hit 200,000 2’nd quarter. The majority of Canadians want AWD so they add that to ‘First Production’ and hopefully white interior option and ship north for a few months. Fingers crossed.

Approximately:
$80k CDN + tax
35000 Car
9000 Battery
5000 Dual
5000 Pup
5000 Eap
1500 19”
1000 Paint
1000 Delivery
$62,500 USD

And add another $10k or more for P since he did say fully loaded.

That's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for most Cannucks. Even more reasonable builds of the car are coming in at $60k+ before taxes but also before EV Rebates (which could be gone in 6 months...).

Really leaves all but the most dedicated enthusiasts looking at this car seriously. That being said... I'm still on board :D!

And a loaded BMW or comparable in the same class is not a tough pill to swallow for most Canucks? If so, drop some or all options, as most people do.

Plus, with gas at $1.40+/litre here you keep putting money into those other brands -- and not insignificant amounts year after year as it ads up. Add to that no oil changes, brakes, etc.

It's been so nice driving by gas stations for the past four years in my S.

If you want a Tesla and are happy to buy without AWD and no auto pilot, used Model S go for mod-50's for range somewhere between the standard and long range Model 3.

I bought CPO almost 3 years ago and paid less than what a new Model 3 initial production is going to cost in 2018.

Just know this isn't a Leaf competitor. If you want a Tesla, it will cost .... more than a Leaf or Bolt or any other EV.

Tesla is a brand above and technology above.

Reactions: yo2boy
That is exactly why I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new MS 75D. The pricing is pretty damn close. Im a first day reservation holder, but went ahead and bought a base 75D, inventory, and slightly discounted. After the EV rebate, came to approx $80k, which is in and around what the M3 will come to market at with the options that I wanted (glass roof, AWD)....especially when you factor in the idea that the rebate may cease to exist once the M3 hits the market.

At the end of the day, the M3 is an expensive car once optioned out. I agree that when comparing the $35k model to a Leaf its compelling, but that's yet to be seen....thus far its all fully spec'd launch edition models. Also, based on my experience with my 75D, the $35k standard battery will be tight for Canadian winters.

• Informative
Reactions: Aussie Bob
Leaf is only 40kwh batter right?
Leaf does not have AWD right?
Leaf is smaller than model 3 right?

I'm curios how leaf survive in this year of winter... I know my co worker has i3 and he could barely survive for his 100km commute to work
Leaf is excellent in winter driving, only issue is range. They should have made the 60kwh pack available this year, then it would have been real competition for Bolt and Model 3. (not really tho)

Reactions: internalaudit
That is exactly why I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new MS 75D. The pricing is pretty damn close. Im a first day reservation holder, but went ahead and bought a base 75D, inventory, and slightly discounted. After the EV rebate, came to approx $80k, which is in and around what the M3 will come to market at with the options that I wanted (glass roof, AWD)....especially when you factor in the idea that the rebate may cease to exist once the M3 hits the market.

At the end of the day, the M3 is an expensive car once optioned out. I agree that when comparing the $35k model to a Leaf its compelling, but that's yet to be seen....thus far its all fully spec'd launch edition models. Also, based on my experience with my 75D, the $35k standard battery will be tight for Canadian winters.

A base Model S 75D is just over $95k CAD without any extra fees added in and after taxes the Ontario $14k rebate.

Curious how you were able to purchase it for around $80k .

We have a Model S and a Volt. The Model S is our preference for long distance driving and I plan on keeping it as long as I can. The Volt is mainly used for local driving by my wife and son, so vast majority of driving in it is as an ev. The base Model 3 with the upgrade package and dual motors would be an ideal replacement for the Volt. Then our family can be 100% gas passers.

I just checked and it still reads:

So I guess it's not a typo? Damn Tesla likes to tease us. Again, I'm not counting on it but having a Model 3 this summer would sure be nice!
That was the weird thing, are we really going to have the choice of a short range AwD mid 2018, not that I want that but that seems very off to offer that so far ahead of the US short range cars and I think would slow production down a lot.

That was the weird thing, are we really going to have the choice of a short range AwD mid 2018, not that I want that but that seems very off to offer that so far ahead of the US short range cars and I think would slow production down a lot.

I don't see it slowing production since it only means adding less batteries to the pack. Plus, it would still be an expensive car with AWD since the base still won't be available ahead of the US, but for Canada it might make sense to drop a few batteries to sell a bunch more cars up here, especially if they need all the batteries they are making for current and future US sales.

All just my guess, of course, or perhaps my internal justification to keep my hope alive of driving around in a Model 3 this summer.

Reactions: Falkirk and DavidP
Thanks for keeping the hope alive in this thread - just spent $150 on an oil change + tank of gas yesterday and this morning spent 15 minutes trying to get into the stupid frozen van with multiple attempts to start it. Mid-2018 can't come soon enough .... weather-wise and Tesla-wise (and yes, I know I shouldn't really complain about a low of -2 degrees).