Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceiling outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about installing a 14-50 outlet in the ceiling, to avoid cables running on the garage floor and crisscrossing the paths of the cars and walkway to the door. But one electrician says that it is "against code", requires the retractable cord setup instead.

True? We already have a standard 120V outlet there for the garage door opener.

He's probably familiar with the local codes, but you could ask for more details. I can see the issue with the weight of the cord stressing the plug and outlet.

OTOH, I googled this "nema 14-50 on ceiling" and did get a number of installs.

He's probably familiar with the local codes, but you could ask for more details. I can see the issue with the weight of the cord stressing the plug and outlet.

OTOH, I googled this "nema 14-50 on ceiling" and did get a number of installs.
I saw others doing it as well...

The guy mentioned something about a ladder to unplug and also requiring a twist-lock outlet (I suppose instead of 14-50).

I don't know about the code restriction for a 14-50 on the ceiling, but you might be able to avoid it by having it at the ceiling, but actually on a beam or wall or some other vertical surface. I found this photo as an example of what I mean:
o.jpg

I can't say for sure that's a 14-50, but I think you see my point.

though I don't know how that addresses the code issues...
Well, my assumption is that the code objects to a plug in a horizontal orientation, where gravity is trying to unplug whatever is plugged in, creating a hazard. Note the word "assumption". By putting the outlet on a beam or wall up high, you keep the outlet in its normal orientation.

does Tesla have adapters for twist-lock outlets?
Here are the Tesla adapters: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters. None of them look twist-lock to me. However, check this guy out: 50A Locking Shore Power (SS2-50 / CS6365) Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters. That might do the trick.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I tried searching earlier but couldn't find any examples. Thanks for providing a link. I stand corrected. :oops:

Here's why I thought it wasn't allowed:

2014 Code Language:

625.44 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Connection. Electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permitted to be cord- and plug-connected to the premises wiring system in accordance with one of the following:

(A) Connections to 125-Volt, Single-Phase, 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacle Outlets. Electric vehicle supply equipment intended for connection to nonlocking, 2-pole, 3-wire grounding-type receptacle outlets rated at 125 V, single phase, 15 and 20 amperes or from a supply of less than 50 volts dc.

(B) Connections to Other Receptacle Outlets. Electric vehicle supply equipment that is rated 250 V maximum and complying with all of the following:

(1) It is intended for connection to nonlocking, 2-pole, 3-wire and 3-pole, 4-wire, grounding-type receptacle outlets rated not more than 50 amperes.

(2) EVSE is fastened in place to facilitate any of the following:

1. Ready removal for interchange
  2. Facilitation of maintenance and repair
  3. Repositioning of portable, movable, or EVSE fastened in place
(3) Power-supply cord length for electric vehicle supply equipment fastened in place is limited to 1.8 m (6 ft).

(4) Receptacles are located to avoid physical damage to the flexible cord.

All other electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permanently wired and fastened in place to the supporting surface, a wall, a pole, or other structure. The electric vehicle supply equipment shall have no exposed live parts.

Since I saw "nonlocking" in the NEC code, I assumed only non-locking outlets were allowed. :confused: Maybe there's a more current version that is different?

Last edited:
I don't know about the code restriction for a 14-50 on the ceiling, but you might be able to avoid it by having it at the ceiling, but actually on a beam or wall or some other vertical surface. I found this photo as an example of what I mean:

OMG! Finally a use for all those extra bottle cages I have lying around.

Um, I mean,

Hey guys! I have some special Tesla Charge Adapter Mounting Kits for sale. Only $49.95 plus shipping.

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8 and CharleyBC