Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Celebration, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it is likely that this is a version 2 Supercharger. However, just because a version 3 Supercharger terminal doesn't share the power of a Supercharger, that doesn't necessarily mean that there will be one Supercharger Cabinet per charging terminal. There still could be two individual Superchargers mounted within each Supercharger Cabinet, but each Supercharger is wired directly to a charging terminal. For example, Urban Superchargers do not share power between charging terminals either, but as in the case of regular version 2 Superchargers, there are still two individual 72 kW Superchargers mounted in a normal Supercharger Cabinet, but each Supercharger is wired directly to one charging terminal .

We wiIl need to see photos of the version 3 Supercharger gear before reaching any conclusions about how many Supercharger Cabinets will support version 3.

What we can be somewhat sure of is that the version 3 charging terminals, with liquid-cooled cables, will have thinner cables than the version 2 charging terminals.

If we can see a close-up, high resolution photo of the Supercharger Cabinets labels at the construction site, we will be able to read the kW capacity. For example, here is the labeling of the version 2 Superchargers at the Gainesville Supercharger Station which is close to being energized.

View attachment 395085

Larry
I want to correct part of what I stated earlier about how to tell if a new Supercharger Station under construction is Version 3.

It is true the charging cables will be thinner. However, based on Tesla's blog article Introducing V3 Supercharging, there won't be Supercharger Cabinets labeled 250kW. There will be a new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to Tesla's utility-scale products. So we need to see something that looks like this:

Tesla Utility Scale Cabinet.png

This is roughly over 7 feet tall by about 4 feet wide.

This cabinet is a lot bigger than the Supercharger Cabinets that have been installed so we can rule out this being a Version 3 Supercharger Station.

In addition, since we know that each charging terminal will have a capacity of 250 kW and that the new Cabinet has a capacity of 1 MW, we can figure that each Cabinet will be wired to 4 charging terminals. So an 8-stall station would need two of these utility-scale cabinets.

Larry

If anybody could get by there in the next couple of days and post an update that would be great. Heading up to Kissimmee Sunday from Fort Myers and this one would be great. Otherwise it's drive north to sand lake and charge before heading down to Kissimmee so I can make it back to Fort Myers. It's amazing how fast this one went up compared to the Gainesville 4 month project. :confused::(

If anybody could get by there in the next couple of days and post an update that would be great. Heading up to Kissimmee Sunday from Fort Myers and this one would be great. Otherwise it's drive north to sand lake and charge before heading down to Kissimmee so I can make it back to Fort Myers. It's amazing how fast this one went up compared to the Gainesville 4 month project. :confused::(
I would be surprised if this opens up by then, sorry.

It's amazing how fast this one went up compared to the Gainesville 4 month project. :confused::(
It's true that there can be significant differences on how long it takes to get permits and build a Supercharger Station. In the case of Gainesville they applied for a permit on June 1, 2018. They didn't assign a General Contractor for quite a while and on February 15, 2019 they finally received Notice of Commencement. They broke ground within a few days. On April 17, 2019 the station was energized. So it took roughly 10 months from permit application to being energized, and roughly 2 months between breaking ground and being energized.

Even now the station is not officially operational. According to Butler Enterprises, additional landscaping is required and Tesla hasn't yet informed them, the host location, that the station is officially "commissioned". Currently the Gainesville station isn't shown on the navigation displays and still shows as "Coming Soon" on the Find Us map.

Update: On April 20, 2019 the Gainesville Supercharger Station was added to the navigation displays and noted on the Find Us map as active.

Larry

Last edited:
I swung by today at around noon. It didn't appear anyone was actively working on it. I suspect we are waiting on the metering equipment to be installed. I didn't want to trespass, so I took the photos below from the fence line.
Hi David,
Thanks for the photos.
It appears that there has been no progress for 10 days.
Not only are we waiting on the metering equipment, but there's also no utility transformer or high-voltage switchgear.

Larry

Swung by again today. Didn't take any pics, but something was happening there I don't quite understand. There was a red model 3 parked inside the gated area and a couple of people working. There was what appeared to be new supercharger shells leaning against each of the 8 superchargers. My assumption was the current covers were going to be replaced with these new ones, although I have no idea why since they appeared complete last week when I was last in the area. Anyway, my workplace is like 10 minutes away, so 'll keep this thread updated.

Swung by again today. Didn't take any pics, but something was happening there I don't quite understand. There was a red model 3 parked inside the gated area and a couple of people working. There was what appeared to be new supercharger shells leaning against each of the 8 superchargers. My assumption was the current covers were going to be replaced with these new ones, although I have no idea why since they appeared complete last week when I was last in the area. Anyway, my workplace is like 10 minutes away, so 'll keep this thread updated.
The techs from Tesla take off the back of the shells to get at the charging post internals and often just lean them against the remaining bit or lay them down next to it. My guess is that's what you saw, not full shell replacements. So, this could be them inspecting the installation or getting the location ready for commissioning. From your last set of pics, I didn't see either the switchgear or the utility transformer installed yet. Though there was that empty space with the conduit stubs sticking up near the supercharger cabinets which could possibly have been for either or both. If you go back and take more pics, try to get a shot that shows what, if anything, they've put in there. Thanks for the update.

• Helpful
Reactions: Larry Chanin

any further update?