Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell cooling inside the jellyroll as additional layer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past 3 or so years despite having no connection to any engineer and being a business graduate myself, I've become an absolute geek about energy storage and EV tech.

The more I learn I contemplate better and weigh ideas. So you know how a battery consists of layers like this;

Cathode material
Aluminum cathode current collector
Cathode material
Seperator
Anode material
Copper anode current collector
Anode material
Seperator

And with the cylindirical cells this is rolled into a jelly roll to make a cell.

And the cooling is always done at the pack level. Even tough cylindirical cells have an edge on cooling because of surface area compared to pouch cells, I don't think energy spent on cooling is 100% efficient nor evenly distributed throughout the cell.

So could cooling (thermal management really) be done at cell level on a micro scale? So the center and the edge would be cooled/heated equally and it would be way more efficient. This would make a cell less energy dense per same size of course but could create much denser packs and because energy spent on thermal management is much lower would in turn make cars more efficient as well.

I don't know how this would be done I don't know any thermal management technique at that kind of a micro scale but it feels like it could be done. Upon googling "nano cooling" I found out that micro chip makers are getting results on this;

Nano-Cooling Breakthrough Achieved By Intel And Berkley

IBM’s Nano-Water Cooled Chips

What do you think? Am I on to something?