Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell Phone as Binnacle Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want a quick and easy way to use my cell phone as a binnacle display through the windshield. That requires two things--a good app that will display a few key details, speed, whatever. Right now I have the Ulysse app and it's pretty good, but maybe folks have a better suggestion. I'm really surprised the Tesla app itself doesn't have a function like that.

The second thing is a good mount, maybe vent mount so that I can position the phone so it's visible through the steering wheel. Does anybody have suggestions for that?

Last edited:
I want a quick and easy way to use my cell phone as a binnacle display through the windshield.
What does 'through the windshield' mean?

I use the arm from an iOttie Easy One Touch 4 (Amazon ASIN B076B27WP6) and the clamp from an iVoler (ASIN B06ZZWYQF7). It took a while to find a suction cup mount that would stay on in a variety of conditions but not use a glue pad. I use DigiHUD Speedometer by James Moss (Android) because it lets you apply a correction to the GPS speed if it doesn't match the wheel speed. I thought about vent mounts but I didn't want to risk trim damage from long-term use. I've seen a mount that replaces the upper steering column trim but I don't seem to be able to find a link.

Reactions: Wigan

I use the arm from an iOttie Easy One Touch 4 (Amazon ASIN B076B27WP6) and the clamp from an iVoler (ASIN B06ZZWYQF7). It took a while to find a suction cup mount that would stay on in a variety of conditions but not use a glue pad. I use DigiHUD Speedometer by James Moss (Android) because it lets you apply a correction to the GPS speed if it doesn't match the wheel speed. I thought about vent mounts but I didn't want to risk trim damage from long-term use. I've seen a mount that replaces the upper steering column trim but I don't seem to be able to find a link.
It means through the steering wheel, because I'm an idiot!

I was unsatisfied with the available options so I 3D printed my own mount and used screws to attach it to a a spare piece of steering column trim I got on eBay. The app I wrote myself wih my wife and it uses a CANServer to pull data at 100 Hz from the car, including turn signals, AP status, and a host of performance gauges that you can hide. This video is quite a bit behind where I am today but you get the idea. Plan is to roll this out as an open source project for people to hack on, and I’ll publish the designs for the mount- it’s for a Pixel 2XL but if you’re well versed in 3D design it should be easily adaptable to other phones. Because it’s a fairly powerful Android phone I can also use the display in split screen mode for Waze/Google Maps/music. It also matches the day/night state of the car.

A video showing refresh rate and side obstacle (blind spot) detection. The interface has evolved a bit since this video but you get the idea.

5DE25B20-0F70-4649-B1EA-75C23FD0AE92.jpeg

C5C88858-2D07-4DCA-93E3-414F8C075552.jpeg
F9096C8F-550C-4EAA-9279-393F68C01045.jpeg

Reactions: richapps and Wigan

There's also this mount but I didn't find the trim to be that close of a match, much easier than designing your own, though. Mine arrived with a broken charger but the included trim was useful because it had an easy to model slot that I could design mounts to slide into, before I just decided to scan the OEM trim and do something sleeker.

I got a long arm suction/magnetic mount that I attached to the back of the screen, which puts my phone under the left side of the screen, which I find a good location so it's convenient to see and use, but doesn't block anything important - I didn't want it beside the screen, or to my left (since I won't use it with my left hand). This is the one I got, and I'm happy with it: https://www.amazon.ca/Magnetic-Flex...ield-Compatible/dp/B07ZSZ7JPQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp