Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell phone bluetooth microphone quality and issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this was already posted. Even when I am getting a very strong cellphone signal, the people on the other end of the line almost always complainthat they cannot hear me and clearly. Theytell me the transmitting of my voice sounds really bad all the time. I always have to turn off the bluetooth anduse the cell phones internal speaker phone.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy SIII on Verizon in OrangeCounty, CA integrated with the bluetooth of the Model S. I speak loudly, slowly and clearly and thatdoes not help. Tonight I am trying adifferent Galaxy SIII.
Are there others with this issue? Is this something you know of that is beingaddressed?

I just minutes ago made my first Bluetooth call (iPhone 4) and it sounded great on my end. The party I was talking to said it sounded great on their end, and I was at speed on the freeway. Now I was talking to Tesla Service making an appointment for my car, so I guess you can take the comments on call quality with a grain of salt.:wink:

I apologize if this was already posted. Even when I am getting a very strong cellphone signal, the people on the other end of the line almost always complainthat they cannot hear me and clearly. Theytell me the transmitting of my voice sounds really bad all the time. I always have to turn off the bluetooth anduse the cell phones internal speaker phone.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy SIII on Verizon in OrangeCounty, CA integrated with the bluetooth of the Model S. I speak loudly, slowly and clearly and thatdoes not help. Tonight I am trying adifferent Galaxy SIII.
Are there others with this issue? Is this something you know of that is beingaddressed?

ChargedUp

I'm having the same problem with an iPhone 5. I know others do not, so I have suspected the microphone in the car. Will be having it looked at when I bring the car in for service....

Aaron

I'm having the same problem with an iPhone 5. I know others do not, so I have suspected the microphone in the car. Will be having it looked at when I bring the car in for service....

Aside from my first "real" call mentioned above, I left myself a voice message on my home phone right after I got the car and thought it sounded pretty good. Maybe I just got lucky with a good microphone.

I've also not had any of the issues with the car "forgetting" the phone and having to re-pair as mentioned in other threads. So far, my iPhone 4 and the car have been rock solid.

I just minutes ago made my first Bluetooth call (iPhone 4) and it sounded great on my end. The party I was talking to said it sounded great on their end, and I was at speed on the freeway. Now I was talking to Tesla Service making an appointment for my car, so I guess you can take the comments on call quality with a grain of salt.:wink:

My iPhone 4S works fine (Sprint) with great call quality. I find no reason to blame the MS.

This is the best hands-free system I've used (iPhone 4). I can actually hear what folks are saying without having to roll up the windows, turn off climate control, and strain to hear. Those at the other end say they can hear me just fine as well.

I've been using mine here and there and had pretty mixed results. With the pano roof open, all I can do is talk while parked. Any movement immediately gets the caller complaining of wind noise. While they said they could hear me clearly driving with the pano roof closed at low speeds, they immediately started to complain about wind noise again as I got above 40MPH or so... he said it seemed like the mic was too sensitive or something. . gonna do some tests later... For all those wanting a good way to test, you can call 914-338-8802 and select option 4 to hear a recording of yourself.

Raising old thread from the dead.

I've had my MS now for 3 years and the *outgoing* bluetooth audio is the worst I've had on any bluetooth enabled car. People on the other end can't hear me unless I'm completely stopped. I've been through multiple phones myself and everyone in my family who has their phones paired to the S over the last 3 years has had the same issue.

It's not the phone. It's not the connection. The incoming audio is great and clear. The outgoing sucks. I've complained about it in nearly all of my 8 or 9 visits to the service center and the response each time is that it's working like it's supposed to.

It's going in on Tuesday for it's 50K and final warranty work and I really really want to get this fixed. My 10 year old Prius sounds soooo much better.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Some cars, have some problems with by audio (microphone) .
As far I've heard it's not related to phone brand or model. Some had the microphone replaced.

I've used mine a lot with note 4, then (note 3 as a backup after drowning my note4) and now with note8.
Always great sound, I can speak quietly too, and nobody complained ever about sound quality.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Do you have a solid or pano roof? I was told by service that pano roof cars have worse outgoing audio because of the wind noise in the area above the microphones. This is easily confirmed by the sound quality deteriorating as speed increases. My service center added foam padding and the situation has improved, although it's still not ideal. At least I no longer sound like I'm talking while on a roller coaster.

The bottom line is that it's a poor design.

This may help the cabin noise issues... Tesla will auto adjust its sound system based on wind and road noise, says Elon Musk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk promises yet another upcoming software feature “coming soon” to the automaker’s fleet: automatic adjustment of the sound system based on wind and road noise. The workload of Tesla’s software team appears to be crazier than ever. They are hard at work on the Model 3 software, which is not completed yet, but last month Musk said that it is the top priority.

Over the last few weeks, Musk has been talking about upcoming Tesla updates and features as well as adding some new suggestions from users to the pipeline. Now someone asked about the sound system of the Model S auto adjusting in the cabin and Musk responded that “it is coming soon”: That’s a feature that is actually already available in the Model 3, one of the rare features that is in the vehicle, but not in the flagship Model S and Model X vehicles. It’s a popular feature in gas-powered cars and likely less useful in electric vehicles, but there are still cabin noises in EVs due to the wheels and wind. Now it sounds like Tesla has plans to bring the feature to Model S and Model X “soon”, presumably through an over-the-air software update.
upload_2018-1-29_20-4-28.png

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
This may help the cabin noise issues... Tesla will auto adjust its sound system based on wind and road noise, says Elon Musk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk promises yet another upcoming software feature “coming soon” to the automaker’s fleet: automatic adjustment of the sound system based on wind and road noise. The workload of Tesla’s software team appears to be crazier than ever. They are hard at work on the Model 3 software, which is not completed yet, but last month Musk said that it is the top priority.

Over the last few weeks, Musk has been talking about upcoming Tesla updates and features as well as adding some new suggestions from users to the pipeline. Now someone asked about the sound system of the Model S auto adjusting in the cabin and Musk responded that “it is coming soon”: That’s a feature that is actually already available in the Model 3, one of the rare features that is in the vehicle, but not in the flagship Model S and Model X vehicles. It’s a popular feature in gas-powered cars and likely less useful in electric vehicles, but there are still cabin noises in EVs due to the wheels and wind. Now it sounds like Tesla has plans to bring the feature to Model S and Model X “soon”, presumably through an over-the-air software update.
View attachment 276784
Ah yes, a feature I've had in my Prius since 2006. Tesla is so cool. Not.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911