TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cell phone holder

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dr Doom, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Hi guy:

Loving my new MX and don't want to run the leather console by attaching a cell phone holder I used my previous car to the leather.

Anyone have any recommendations for cell phone holder to car AC vents? I'm thinking on driver's side that will fit an iphone 7 plus. thanks!

• Helpful x 1
  2. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

My iPhone 7 + fits perfectly in the grab handle/pocket in the upper part of the door.

3. chibi_kurochan

This is what we use and it's holding up great
    Amazon.com: AUKEY Car Mount Air Vent Magnetic Phone Holder for iPhone 7, 6S, Plus, Samsung and Other Android, Windows Smartphones (Grey): Automotive

4. SUMD

SUMD Member

I decided against getting this because of concern that the cold AC air against the phone would possibly lead to internal condensation, leading to phone degradation. This was a while ago, and I never had the time to look through the net for feedback speaking to this concern.

5. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

6. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Looking for something that can have phone in view while driving.

7. chibi_kurochan

I actually think it's good for the phone to stay cool with the AC, prolonged the phone's battery life. I've been using it for over a year and my phone has been fine.
    It's bad for the phone if you have heater on though.

Can you please clarify your concern with the credit card? Your case has credit card holders? I can't speak for this, i don't have credit cards on my phone, i'm just using apple's silicone case and i stuck the magnet underneath the case..

• Like x 1
  8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I've used ProClip on many cars with excellent results. Looks like for the X they have two locations to attach to:

Tesla X 2017 Dashboard Mounts - ProClip USA

The best thing about these is that you only have to purchase half of it when you change phones and (okay, two things) you can always remove the whole thing. Never any damage to vehicle.

What's in this picture is the car mount; you then search for the phone mount; can be swivel or not, powered or not, etc.

• Like x 1
  9. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

10. Nosken

Nosken Member

#10 Nosken, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    I LOVE my ProClip on my Model S, and it seems to be the same for the Model X
    ProClip iPhone holder with charging accommodates a case well. I get the powered holder, so my phone is always charging.
    Here are the 7+ holders Apple iPhone 7 Plus with a case Phone Holders - ProClip USA

I use this one, 2.1 Amps so it charges faster than the USB ports on the center console, and I hide the wire alone the trim. I will post photos
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus with a case Adjustable Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and USB Cigarette Lighter Plug for Small to Medium Cases - ProClip USA

IMG_5110 (1).jpg IMG_6797 (1).jpg

• Like x 1
  11. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

That is not a concern at all.

12. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Yes it is. In a Lexus RX, I used to keep my phone in the left cupholder, just below the air vent. When the AC was on in the summer, the cold air cooled my iPhone so much that it turned off at 80-90% charge. I wouldn't put my phone next to an air vent.

I use a magnetic one as well, got it on Amazon for 9.99 and it sticks to the matte wood that I have in my S just above the glovebox button. Very visible, great location and great value as well.

13. Martin VanB

Martin VanB Member

Why not use the built in docking station in the center?

• Like x 2
  14. gfb107

gfb107 Member

Attached Files:

15. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Because you can't read your phone 'down there'. If we had phone screen mirroring, sure. I plan on using google maps a lot of the time, and need it at eye level.

All the current dock is good for is music streaming and Bluetooth phone calls (even then you may want to easily see the screen).

16. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Not due to internal condensation, though. I'm not going to say it's impossible (because nothing is), but it's highly unlikely. Shutting down due to extreme temperatures? Yeah, that happens.

• Like x 2
  17. gabeincal

Oh yeah I meant temp, definitely not internal condensation :)

18. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I have never heard of a phone shutting down because of cold temperature from the AC. Definitely hotter temperatures can make the phone's battery degrade faster. I have had an iphone battery go from 100% to 50% in half hour because it had overheated in really hot temperatures outside and in direct sunlight.

19. gabeincal

Happened many many times...

20. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I had an iPad once that refused to turn on until it'd warmed up after being left overnight in a -20° F car. You have to get it very cold indeed.