Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell phone volume issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same situation. What seems to have happened is that both the volume on the car and the phone are reset to lower levels after the software update. I used the volume control on the phone (iPhone 12 running IOS 14.3) and turned that to maximum and then adjusted the volume on the car as needed. Since then, all has been fine.

I had the same situation. What seems to have happened is that both the volume on the car and the phone are reset to lower levels after the software update. I used the volume control on the phone (iPhone 12 running IOS 14.3) and turned that to maximum and then adjusted the volume on the car as needed. Since then, all has been fine.
Unfortunately, even when I do as you suggest, the next time I use the phone it goes back to being quiet. Since this is new behavior I'm hoping they will fix it so that it works as it did prior to the update.

I seem to have an opposite problem. I will get in the car and the phone's volume is so high that it is off the charts. I will reduce it and be fine, and then the next time or maybe the time after that, the volume will be at maximum again even though I have not changed anything. Fortunately I most often notice the issue as I tap something on the phone and the taps are like gunshots in the car.

I have an S (on the Y forums as I just ordered a Y)

Tesla did an update before Covid which caused this issue for me. I now have to turn up the volume on my phone (every time I connect) to have the correct volume control on my car. I happens on all phones I've connected (S20 Ultra is my latest, Note 10 prior, happens with iPhones too)

I'm curious if it's related to the Bluetooth of the phone and the car, where some were affected by new programming, while others not. I also noticed that the loudness I used to have at 3-4 I now need to set at 6-7.

I've factory reset the car (for other reasons) and had this happen on loaner S' and the test drive with the Y I just did.

On other words, seems like there's no single reason for this to happen, but for me, it started a year ago.

Same issue on my iPhone 11. I’ve just gotten into the habit of spinning up the volume on the first call. Subsequent calls seem fine. It seems like there is a default setting somewhere when the phone initially connects. I’ll try turning off the bluetooth after the first call this morning and seeing if I need to adjust the volume again after I turn it back on and the phone reconnects.

Experimented bit on the drive to work. Had the store call, fist call had to increase volume to hear them. Second call, volume was where I adjusted it. Turned off bluetooth. Restarted bluetooth on the phone and had the store call after the phone was connected. Volume needed adjustment. Once again, after the adjustment, subsequent call volumes were fine. It appears that whatever the earpiece volume is set to is what the car sets the initial phone volume at.