Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell Types in the model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe there are different types, depending on the model. I think the 85kWh pack uses what Panasonic is calling their NNP cell, which I think is a Lithium Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide variant. I think the smaller pack sizes use a slightly different more conventional LiCo cell with lower specific energy density, so pack size and weight stays the same at lower pack capacity.

This is mostly speculation, so take it with a grain of salt, but supposedly the Rav4 and 40 kwh Model S use the 2.2mah cells also used in the roadster(that's why no supercharger use is allowed). The 60kwh and 85 kwh supposedly use the 3.1ah ncr18650a cells. Both the 40 and 60kwh use the same layout/cell count only different cells.

EPA cycle range charge is 140, 200, 265.

Panasonic now has 3.4 Ah 18650's. I know, I just bought two. BTW, with the news about battery replacement options, they should have a DIY option where you can solder together your own. :D Also they should have disposable alkaline packs. Duracell would like that.

This is mostly speculation, so take it with a grain of salt, but supposedly the Rav4 and 40 kwh Model S use the 2.2mah cells also used in the roadster(that's why no supercharger use is allowed). The 60kwh and 85 kwh supposedly use the 3.1ah ncr18650a cells. Both the 40 and 60kwh use the same layout/cell count only different cells.

EPA cycle range charge is 140, 200, 265.
This sounds about right, and a most reasonable explanation for the no-SC-for-40s policy.