Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cellphone Reminder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got into the habit of tapping my phone to the B-Pillar to lock the door, so I never forget my phone... Don't even need to have the Tesla App open... Just unlock the phone, and tap it while on the home screen. I never liked the walk away lock, because I'd rather have it lock right away. With the walk away lock, sometimes it locks when I'm a few feet away, sometimes it won't lock until I'm either really far away, and/or physically walk into the building.

• Informative
Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
I just installed iOS 15.1 on my iPhone and Watch OS 8.1 on my Apple Watch. The Find Devices, Find Items and Find People utilities are available with Watch OS 8. So far I have been unable to trigger an alert when leaving my iPhone inside my Tesla Model Y. I walked a good distance away from my Model Y after leaving my iPhone in the vehicle. It may be that the Find Device utility it defaulting to the widest search/location area. (When you exclude a location such as your home you can specify Small, Medium or Large areas to be excluded from the Notify when Separated feature of Find Devices.)

I tried Airplane mode on the Apple Watch but that turns off Notifications. I tried turning off WiFi and Cellular (turning off Cellular also turned off notifications) but this did not force the Find Device utility to use BT range to trigger separation from the iPhone. I feel that the Apple Find Devices utility for Apple Watch is not going to be able to be used to remind me if I leave my iPhone inside my Model Y. Ideally I would like to be reminded that I have left my iPhone inside the Tesla vehicle as soon as I am out of BT range and that does not seem to be an option.

I would like an option to set a reminder in the Tesla Model Y vehicle settings that always displays a simple message such as "Don't forget to take your phone!" whenever the driver's door is opened. If you never forget your phone then you could turn off this setting.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I just installed iOS 15.1 on my iPhone and Watch OS 8.1 on my Apple Watch. The Find Devices, Find Items and Find People utilities are available with Watch OS 8. So far I have been unable to trigger an alert when leaving my iPhone inside my Tesla Model Y. I walked a good distance away from my Model Y after leaving my iPhone in the vehicle. It may be that the Find Device utility it defaulting to the widest search/location area. (When you exclude a location such as your home you can specify Small, Medium or Large areas to be excluded from the Notify when Separated feature of Find Devices.)

I tried Airplane mode on the Apple Watch but that turns off Notifications. I tried turning off WiFi and Cellular (turning off Cellular also turned off notifications) but this did not force the Find Device utility to use BT range to trigger separation from the iPhone. I feel that the Apple Find Devices utility for Apple Watch is not going to be able to be used to remind me if I leave my iPhone inside my Model Y. Ideally I would like to be reminded that I have left my iPhone inside the Tesla vehicle as soon as I am out of BT range and that does not seem to be an option.

I would like an option to set a reminder in the Tesla Model Y vehicle settings that always displays a simple message such as "Don't forget to take your phone!" whenever the driver's door is opened. If you never forget your phone then you could turn off this setting.
I have the same issue with IOS 15.0.2 and Watch OS 8.1. I have notify when left behind turned on, but it is not working.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae and jcanoe
I have the same issue as well. It doesn’t seem to work as it should…
I’m on 15.1 and 8.1 on all of my devices. I know it notifies me about my iPad and AirPods because I’ve left them in my car several times when I’d go into a gas station (yes, i still use those) or rest areas. I haven’t tried it with my phone, but it does work for other devices.

Are all the devices on your account running the latest versions of iOS or iPadOS? There was a change in Fing My for live tracking and I have seen it behave weird with devices that are not on 15.x.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I’m on 15.1 and 8.1 on all of my devices. I know it notifies me about my iPad and AirPods because I’ve left them in my car several times when I’d go into a gas station (yes, i still use those) or rest areas. I haven’t tried it with my phone, but it does work for other devices.

Are all the devices on your account running the latest versions of iOS or iPadOS? There was a change in Fing My for live tracking and I have seen it behave weird with devices that are not on 15.x.
Yeah my phone is on 15.1 and my WatchOS is the latest (8). It's such a great idea but doesn't work for me. Will keep playing around with the settings.

I just viewed a CNET video on using the Find My Devices utility in iOS 15. They stated that you need at least an iPhone 12 to use the Find My Devices feature with an iPhone. I have a 2020 iPhone SE so no Find my iPhone functionality for me.

Last edited: