Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cellular Provider

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally unrelated, but I've noticed I can receive calls in my car on my iPhone X (which is on Verizon with WiFi calling enabled), when the iPhone X has the cellular turned OFF (but WiFi ON), and I'm driving around in the Model 3 nowhere near other WiFi (other than that in the car I guess).

First time I though I was imagining it, but now it has happened twice. Conclusion is that the car is routing my phone info over the Bluetooth connection (or WiFi) or something, (which then gets routed to the LTE connection)...so the cell network can route calls to my phone? LTE connection doesn't have to be Verizon for this to work of course. I didn't think the Tesla set up a WiFi hotspot but maybe it does. That's why I figured it was Bluetooth -> LTE. I haven't tested whether or not this works when the phone is NOT in the charging dock (not connected to car via USB - could be Lightning/USB to LTE - though not sure that is even a thing).

Someone else should confirm this. I am not sure why I was surprised by this, but it's actually quite a nice feature, as I often turn off cellular at home, since my service there is so bad - WiFi calling works much better. And then forget to turn it on again...but at least people can still call me as long as I am in the Tesla.

Last edited:
Totally unrelated, but I've noticed I can receive calls in my car on my iPhone X (which is on Verizon with WiFi calling enabled), when the iPhone X has the cellular turned OFF (but WiFi ON), and I'm driving around in the Model 3 nowhere near other WiFi (other than that in the car I guess).

First time I though I was imagining it, but now it has happened twice. Conclusion is that the car is routing my phone info over the Bluetooth connection (or WiFi) or something, (which then gets routed to the LTE connection)...so the cell network can route calls to my phone? LTE connection doesn't have to be Verizon for this to work of course. I didn't think the Tesla set up a WiFi hotspot but maybe it does. That's why I figured it was Bluetooth -> LTE. I haven't tested whether or not this works when the phone is NOT in the charging dock (not connected to car via USB - could be Lightning/USB to LTE - though not sure that is even a thing).

Someone else should confirm this. I am not sure why I was surprised by this, but it's actually quite a nice feature, as I often turn off cellular at home, since my service there is so bad - WiFi calling works much better. And then forget to turn it on again...but at least people can still call me as long as I am in the Tesla.
I’m betting you’ve just turned off cellular data on your phone, which still allows phone calls. Tesla’s LTE connection is data only and does not handle phone calls. They also do not provide a wireless hotspot.

I’m betting you’ve just turned off cellular data on your phone, which still allows phone calls. Tesla’s LTE connection is data only and does not handle phone calls. They also do not provide a wireless hotspot.

Ah...makes sense. On the iPhone X, I am turning off the "green antenna" in the quick access page (but I did NOT turn on airplane mode). It does specifically say cellular data is off, but I always assumed that meant that cellular modem was actually off, since I can't receive standard MMS text messages in that mode...and it seemed to be routing calls over WiFi (at home) when I'm in that mode. But, seems like you might be right. I guess I have never noticed being able to receive a call from landline when in this mode...I should do some experiments I guess! I also thought the voice quality that I got in the car in this mode was too good to be over a cellular network (without VoIP). But you're probably right - not exactly the same as airplane mode with WiFi turned on. So many modes. Mode confusion. I will retry again with airplane mode on but WiFi also on. Presumably this will no longer work.

EDIT: Hmm. With airplane mode on, but WiFi enabled, BT on, in the office (not in the car), I can receive calls (in my office), which of course must be VoIP. To me, it seems that in airplane mode, they most certainly MUST turn the cellular modem off (because unlike BT & WiFi, there is no way to enable the cellular without first disabling airplane mode). I will check in the car later, using this mode, I suppose. That should be definitive; there should be no way to use the cellular network on the phone when the phone is in airplane mode, regardless of status of BT & WiFi.

Last edited:

Confirmed...I was only turning off wireless data. Really have no idea how to use my phone I guess...newfangled devices. At least now I know how to do it properly...