Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Cap Paint Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nev&Co

X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016
Oct 20, 2016
California
I am planning to spray paint my center cap and have a few questions:

1. What are the proper steps for the whole painting process? Do we need sand paper?

2. I am thinking to paint white exterior with the red "T" logo. Can I find a red paint that can match the Tesla red code?

I did get the decals and tried them on one cap last week. We had a storm with lots of rain for the past week and today when I checked again the edge of the stickers start to peel off. Not sure if it's quality issue or the way that I put in the wrong way. I use paper towel to clean up and dry the surface and then apply the decal.

I did get the decals and tried them on one cap last week. We had a storm with lots of rain for the past week and today when I checked again the edge of the stickers start to peel off. Not sure if it's quality issue or the way that I put in the wrong way. I use paper towel to clean up and dry the surface and then apply the decal.

My black center cap stickers have been on for 3-1/2 years with no problems. A couple of suggestions:

Cleanliness-just a wipe with a paper towel won't cut it. At a minimum, use isopropyl alcohol and be sure to dry thoroughly with clean towels. If there might be any wax or grease on the cap, maybe use Goof Off or a similar solvent, then follow with alcohol.

Temperature-the stickers and the center caps should be comfortably warm. Did you apply the stickers to cold center caps (unheated garage) and with cold stickers? Maybe use a hair dryer to heat up (and dry) the center caps and stickers.

Pressure-you might want to use some kind of burnishing tool to press all of the small details of the sticker into the nooks and crannies of the center cap.

Hope this helps.

Same here. Tried a set of stickers and within 6 hours I had already lost one. Then I realized that my wife is an artist with a steady hand and using a Sharpee Oil Based Paint stick was able to solve my problem.

centercap.JPG

Reactions: aesculus