TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Center Cap Paint Project

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Nev&Co, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Nev&Co

Nev&Co X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016

I am planning to spray paint my center cap and have a few questions:

1. What are the proper steps for the whole painting process? Do we need sand paper?

2. I am thinking to paint white exterior with the red "T" logo. Can I find a red paint that can match the Tesla red code?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Maybe use a center cap sticker instead of painting--search here for Roger's info (...can't find it at the moment). Work great, last a long time, no painting.

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Nev&Co

I did get the decals and tried them on one cap last week. We had a storm with lots of rain for the past week and today when I checked again the edge of the stickers start to peel off. Not sure if it's quality issue or the way that I put in the wrong way. I use paper towel to clean up and dry the surface and then apply the decal.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

You might try cleaning the disk with alcohol first. Then after you get the decal positioned burnish with a rounded/pointed object to set the sticker.

Mine have been on for six months and even been pressure washed about 6 times and they seem to be sticking OK.

• Helpful x 1
  6. JPP

JPP Active Member

My black center cap stickers have been on for 3-1/2 years with no problems. A couple of suggestions:

Cleanliness-just a wipe with a paper towel won't cut it. At a minimum, use isopropyl alcohol and be sure to dry thoroughly with clean towels. If there might be any wax or grease on the cap, maybe use Goof Off or a similar solvent, then follow with alcohol.

Temperature-the stickers and the center caps should be comfortably warm. Did you apply the stickers to cold center caps (unheated garage) and with cold stickers? Maybe use a hair dryer to heat up (and dry) the center caps and stickers.

Pressure-you might want to use some kind of burnishing tool to press all of the small details of the sticker into the nooks and crannies of the center cap.

Hope this helps.

7. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Same here. Tried a set of stickers and within 6 hours I had already lost one. Then I realized that my wife is an artist with a steady hand and using a Sharpee Oil Based Paint stick was able to solve my problem.

centercap.JPG

• Like x 1
  8. JPP

JPP Active Member

Too bad your stickers did not stick. As I mentioned up-thread, prep is the key. My original stickers have been in place for 3+ years, no peeling, even with pressure hose car washes, etc.

9. Nev&Co

That's really nice work and now I will ask my wife to do the same thing :)

• Like x 1
  10. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

I had my shop paint ours and then use white vinyl for the logo and they came out great.

Wheel-Caps.jpg

11. Reekdog

Reekdog Member