Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

center console 12v outlet - constant power now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else noticed that the center console 12v outlet is now with constant power ON, even with the car off. I'm on 2019.8.5 and this is for a 2018 LR RWD with AP & FSD

In the past, the power would shut off once I leave the car and the side mirrors would fold, for some reason, the 12v power is now always on and the side mirrors still fold.....I can confirm the power is always on but by the external dashcam that is connect to it.

Question: is there a way enable or disable the 12v power?

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
I don't believe the 12v is always on. It is on while the car is awake. Your car may be locked but it may still be awake (not sleep). I've noticed lately that the car could be awake as much as 30 minutes after leaving (usually around 10 minutes) before it goes to sleep. It may also stay awake while charging. It'll also remain awake while in sentry mode.

As I stated, in the past, the power would goes off as soon as I park and open the door and leave the car. But now, I can easily walk back to my car 1 hour later without my phone or car card, and I can tell the dashcam is still on with power connected to the center console. I guess it's no big deal, but was just curious to know if anyone else noticed this change recently.

I’ve noticed this as well. I use a Raspberry Pi for TeslaCam and found recently its online and connected overnight while in my garage (not charging). Climate is off, doors are locked, phone key is at least 25 feet away. Friend also left their unpaired phone plugged in to the cig lighter, came back after eating and it was nearly fully charged (sentry mode off, cabin overheat venting on).

Has anyone reported this issue or heard from Elon or service center on it? I don't mind the dashcam being constantly on as much as constantly recording while parked over my drive. It would be nice to be able to set it to how we like, but if not I definitely prefer reverting to the old switched way.

Most cars with multiple 12V adapter sockets usually have one that is switched and the other being constant on.

Most cars with multiple 12V adapter sockets usually have one that is switched and the other being constant on.

And some with the option to have one socket be either ;)
My Jeep can switch one of the sockets to be switched or not. I think it's a fuse or jumper that has to be moved in the fuse box.

I would like to see this switched too.

I don't believe the 12v is always on. It is on while the car is awake. Your car may be locked but it may still be awake (not sleep). I've noticed lately that the car could be awake as much as 30 minutes after leaving (usually around 10 minutes) before it goes to sleep. It may also stay awake while charging. It'll also remain awake while in sentry mode.

This is what I’ve observed as well. The 12v outlet is only on when the car is awake. (I can tell when it’s awake/asleep via TeslaFi.)

Reactions: preilly44
Has anyone reported this issue or heard from Elon or service center on it? I don't mind the dashcam being constantly on as much as constantly recording while parked over my drive. It would be nice to be able to set it to how we like, but if not I definitely prefer reverting to the old switched way.

does yours have the option to only record motion while parked?

The manual lists situations when power is available, including active Sentry Mode. I’m interested because I am planning on using an electric cooler when I go into Los Angeles and buy food I can’t get in the desert
A934C9C2-E866-470B-BCD5-B2FBCF368E58.jpeg