Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

center console concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on vacation for the next week - so a bit slow to respond. I'll make sure to post an update - meanwhile Sid's is looking for a custom trim piece. I think his goal is to make it as OEM looking as possible. I will make sure to follow up in a week and hopefully everyone who was on the initial list will hear from Sid in the first part of the week.

Thanks for all the compliments on the design. I find it very functional. Here's a quick update.
1. Trim rings for cupholders - Sid found someone to do a run of brushed aluminum cupholder trim rings. It adds a bit to the cost, but not to bad ~$15 and he's having 100 of them made.
2. Finishes - At present we only have piano black and carbon fiber matched. Sid's has not found a match for the Obeche wood. He's having a sample sent to him by someone out of ohio and hoping for a match.
3. Production - all the people who were on the initial list should have received an email from Sid's. He is waiting on the trim rings and matching the obeche wood. Then for efficiency he's going to build them all at once. We were able to get quite a bit more than the original six on the initial list so please be patient so we can get everyone their finish selections. Should have an update on this by early next week.
4. Cellphone mount - I'm still not perfectly happy with the cellphone mount so I'm going to work on that a bit with them on Saturday. It looks like an after-thought as opposed to something that was designed in. So I'm thinking of making a cell phone tray where the phone will be recessed in the console. More of a flush mount. Welcome thoughts if anyone has any ideas to contribute. Will keep everyone up to date on that.

*** Beyond the initial production run - well as you can tell he's ordered enough parts to make ~50 of these. But I loathe to take more names and want to start directing people straight to the shop and get out of the middle of it. I want this to be his business. My interest was to 1) create a design I wanted; and 2) provide a means for other like-minded people to be able to get the design I put together. So stay tuned.

Hey, thanks for the update. I didn't get an email from sid, but on the cellphone mount, I agree, it does look a bit meh. On your idea of a tray, if you had a recessed area that was fairly shallow, coated in some nice felt-like fabric (not felt, but I think you know what I mean) and it were wide enough to seat an S3 (which tends to be on the bigger side of phones), I think you'd have a winner. The felt would keep it from sliding, you could lay your phone down and have the screen face up (so you can see it at a glance if need-be) and if you have the USB pass-through at the bottom (meaning closer to the armrests than the screen) portion of that recess, you can plug your phone in.

Yes need to figure it out. I really like the mount in terms of securing the phone. I also like it so that you don't have to plug in the charging wire but rather just slide into the mount. So I think the best thing is a recessed tray with an angled back. Then one can choose to use a mount or just have it resting in there. The downside -- If I recess it too much you won't be able plug in a headset jack and you'll loose the ability to do portrait vs. landscape rotation with the mount but as some point i chose beauty over functionality. SIGH.

Thanks for all the compliments on the design. I find it very functional. Here's a quick update.
3. Production - all the people who were on the initial list should have received an email from Sid's. He is waiting on the trim rings and matching the obeche wood. Then for efficiency he's going to build them all at once. We were able to get quite a bit more than the original six on the initial list so please be patient so we can get everyone their finish selections. Should have an update on this by early next week.
4. Cellphone mount - I'm still not perfectly happy with the cellphone mount so I'm going to work on that a bit with them on Saturday. It looks like an after-thought as opposed to something that was designed in. So I'm thinking of making a cell phone tray where the phone will be recessed in the console. More of a flush mount. Welcome thoughts if anyone has any ideas to contribute. Will keep everyone up to date on that.

I thought I was on the lis, but I havn't heard from him. Should I be concerned?

@DrComputer -- well that's a good question. For me - NO. I'm not in this to make any profit what so ever. I simply designed a solution for myself and thought I'd build a couple along the way to lower cost for myself and others. That being said I did get an invitation and I passed it along to Sid's Custom Upholstery to see if they want to show it off.

Well we got the trim rings in. I think it dresses it up nicely. The last part of getting this thing out of "beta" is to improve the phone holder mount. Sid's is doing that and it should be done by tomorrow. Meanwhile thought I'd share the trim ring pic.

Timing: Sid's will be sending out an email to all that are on the list requesting credit cards and they will package and ship to everyone. I believe the first ten could go out as early as the end of next week.

photo.JPG