Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Insert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It fits nicely. Quality is super! It TRULY finishes that cavernous gap and looks fantastic.

I have 3 gripes:
1. The storage area could have been larger - with a larger opening.
2. The cell phone caddy is really placed backward IMO.
3. I had a bit of a gap (~ 3/8") in the back of the CCI.... I found some foam which I placed in between and it made it acceptable.

EDIT:: let me point out that I was probably one of the first 15 delivered .....

Steve, can you comment more on the phone caddy location and orientation? I need my cell charging and available at all times, so this matters.

Can you illustrate with a drawing or photo of what you mean and why it's backwards from your view?

Charging is not an issue. There's a pass thru for power cord.

As for phone caddy, it's angled rearward. So if your phone is in there you can't just glance down and see who's calling (BT, I know, old habits) or whatnot. And it's just a bit awkward to insert and remove the phone. I choose not to use it unless I'm charging.

I see that as a positive: with the phone angled rearward there will be less temptation for people to look down, get distracted, and kill themselves. I've already concluded that the bottom half of the touchscreen is much more distracting (reduces focus on the road) much more than the top half, and I've adjusted my habits appropriately.

Distracted driving -- especially texting while driving -- is so, so, sooo dangerous that even little things like this are welcome. :)

I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Of course, I've modified it a bit. I have a 500 gig USB drive with all of my FLAC encoded music, a USB rechargeable flashlight, both in the storage space. This required drilling a hole for the cables in the side of the storage space. I also added a ProClip phone mount for my Samsung Galaxy III with an integrated USB cable for charging. To power all of this I added a 2-port USB outlet to the 12v port. This charges the flashlight and phone. The music drive is plugged in on of the Tesla USB ports, which leaves me one spare USB port.

Last edited:
I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Of course, I've modified it a bit. I have a 500 gig USB drive with all of my FLAC encoded music, a USB rechargeable flashlight, both in the storage space. This required drilling a hole for the cables in the side of the storage space. I also added a ProClip phone mount for my Samsung Galaxy III with an integrated USB cable for charging. To power all of this I added a 2-port USB outlet to the 12v port. This charges the flashlight and phone. The music drive is plugged in on of the Tesla USB ports, which leaves me one spare USB port.

Proclip has a mount now for the tesla? Which flashlight are you using ?

I just received the custom with carbon fiber. I like it. I installed it in the fed ex parking lot. Really did take 2-3 minutes. I agree I wish the phone caddy was oriented differently. I actually lay my phone on top of the compartment door so I can quickly look down for texts. I know I shouldn't but my phone is my pager and sometimes the hospital wont wait 30-45 minutes.

Artsci

Any pictures of the modification or better yet in progress shots.

Thanks

J

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

You might want to review these threads, which have some photos and text regarding my mods to Soflauthor's CCI. I'll take and post some photos of the storage space, which I haven't done yet. Drilling the hole through the back side of the storage space was believe it or not the most painstaking task. I used a forstner bit and it was very difficult to get any traction with the bit, given the angle I had to approach the task.

artsci's Model S modifications

Modifications to Soflauthor's very fine CCI

Tan interior with Lloyd's parchment Luxe mats and Soflauthor's custom CCI

Last edited:
I have been provided a password to order one. I can't decide whether to get the standard or the custom. My car will be delivered between June 16 and June 30 and it has the tan interior with carbon fiber. If I get the standard will it look fine if I get some carbon fiber applique? Is there enough difference to justify the ~ $300 price increase. Maybe there is more difference rather than the carbon fiber or other custom surface in the custom unit.

I have been provided a password to order one. I can't decide whether to get the standard or the custom. My car will be delivered between June 16 and June 30 and it has the tan interior with carbon fiber. If I get the standard will it look fine if I get some carbon fiber applique? Is there enough difference to justify the ~ $300 price increase. Maybe there is more difference rather than the carbon fiber or other custom surface in the custom unit.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, an extra $300 for what looks best is a drop in the bucket and inconsequential. Do it. DO IT NOW!!!

We purchased it and returned it immediately. The people at Tesla Accessories are very responsive and returned with no problems since it was unused. The quality looked very nice, but we were amazed at the wasted space. It is a large console with relatively little additional benefits, and a large price tag. Issues we had with it:

- The storage area was tiny.
- The cup holder was huge and a poor design. NOTE: Tesla Accessories has since modified it and added a foam insert to keep drinks from tipping.
- The price for the added benefits.

With all the wasted space, we think they could have either added 2 cup holders or a larger compartment. We don't particularly like the location of the current Tesla cup holders so it would have been nice to have 2 alternative ones for both front seat passengers.

We hope the future Tesla drop-in console will be better designed.