Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console light question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 S LR. It was a February delivery. When I close the sliding door on the center console to the half way position (so you can still see the cupholders), should the light inside that small compartment be on? On our X it turns off. Here is a picture. A bit hard to see through the gap, but the light is still on. Super annoying at night. The light does turn off if I push the tray underneath to open (to access the bigger, lower compartment).

tempImageafY07Y.jpg

Feb 2022 MSLR. Originally the lights operated opposite what you'd think. Using my camera in video mode showed light in main compartment turned on with main slide door closed. Light turned off with main slide door open. They replaced the whole console which included the rear screen. Long story short .... it works as it should now. The picture below shows both lower sliders closed, top slider halfway and light is off. Pushing top slider towards full open will turn on light. For the OP, can it be that the top slider needs its midpoint adjusted just a little? Test this by letting it close just a little bit more.
20230104_072631.jpg

Feb 2022 MSLR. Originally the lights operated opposite what you'd think. Using my camera in video mode showed light in main compartment turned on with main slide door closed. Light turned off with main slide door open. They replaced the whole console which included the rear screen. Long story short .... it works as it should now. The picture below shows both lower sliders closed, top slider halfway and light is off. Pushing top slider towards full open will turn on light. For the OP, can it be that the top slider needs its midpoint adjusted just a little? Test this by letting it close just a little bit more.View attachment 892216
Did they give you the bigger rear screen with the replacement? I’m worried they are going to use that as the reason for not replacing mine as I have the smaller rear screen

I have this same issue on my 2021 MSLR. I thought it was pretty weird. Was mobile service able to fix it, or did it have to go into the service center?
I had to go to SC - they replaced to switch control module in the console. Some SCs replaced the Center console altogether.

Took my SC 3 days though, doesn’t seem like it’s something mobile service can do, quite invasive.

I had to go to SC - they replaced to switch control module in the console. Some SCs replaced the Center console altogether.

Took my SC 3 days though, doesn’t seem like it’s something mobile service can do, quite invasive.
Copy that. I made an appointment and at first it had mobile service...then it changed to the SC. Oh well. We will see what all they end up replacing!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Initially I had a properly working console where the lights would come on when opened and off when closed, but I recently had the console replaced because the sliding door would grind when closed.
Now my lights are backwards and the under arm door is no longer magnetic since the magnets no longer line up with each other (I located the upper/lower magnets with a magnet) and found that they location offset are about 1" apart.

Needless to say new console is on order.

Initially I had a properly working console where the lights would come on when opened and off when closed, but I recently had the console replaced because the sliding door would grind when closed.
Now my lights are backwards and the under arm door is no longer magnetic since the magnets no longer line up with each other (I located the upper/lower magnets with a magnet) and found that they location offset are about 1" apart.

Needless to say new console is on order.
Jeeze!

UPDATE:
It went in for service, they verified the issue, and the whole center console needs to be replaced. It is not in stock so that have to order it and it has to go back in when it arrives.
UPDATE:

The new center console came in, service day came, they installed the new one, all good. I go home and check it and it is working properly. Fast forward to a few days later, it is now not working properly, and backwards yet again. It is making me wonder if I was crazy when I checked it after first picking it up. Nonetheless, now it is still not working properly. I have another service appointment, this one a mobile, so we will see what they decide. The saga continues!

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
UPDATE:

The new center console came in, service day came, they installed the new one, all good. I go home and check it and it is working properly. Fast forward to a few days later, it is now not working properly, and backwards yet again. It is making me wonder if I was crazy when I checked it after first picking it up. Nonetheless, now it is still not working properly. I have another service appointment, this one a mobile, so we will see what they decide. The saga continues!
Lazy to search through posts to see what the problem is in your specific instance. Can you recount again what you're seeing in your particular case, thanks. Maybe a video. For inside a black console its best to put a white handkerchief in there during the video. No video, that's fine too.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Wow! That is crazy that it happened again.

Reactions: askiles
Had mine fixed in the thread here. I wonder if a recent software update flipped the logic ?