TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center console light?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by jimmyz80, Apr 21, 2015.

1. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

While installing my new stereo this weekend, I noticed something surprising. The bottom cover of my center console appears to have a light of some sort in it, as if it were designed to illuminate the little tray area on the floor below the center console. Do all roadsters have this, and has anyone ever seen it light up?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Mine lights up.

3. Chillout

Chillout Member

Mine lights up to... in a very nasty amber color. I've been wanting to replace it with a red LED, but the unit itself didn't seem that common, so I didn't bother looking for a replacement.

4. m0rph

m0rph Member

Mine doesn't light up. I'll have to check it..

5. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

Hmm what do you know....mine DOES light up haha. It's just so subtle that I never noticed it. Like Chillout mentioned above, I think I may have to swap in a brighter red LED to provide a little mood lighting for the Fusion Red car haha.

6. Chillout

Chillout Member

The problem is the light is pretty hard to reach, you cannot just twist it and take it out. Also, the fitting is nothing I recognised on first sight... couldn't find anything useful when searching for the numbers on it...

7. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

Mine lights up.

Maybe it's my aging eyes, but the interior lighting sucks. No map light, foot well, or acceptable dome light. I replaced the dome light w/ LED. Installed LED's in the foot wellls. It's switchable form red, for preservation of night vision, and white for finding your phone in the middle of the night.:cursing:

8. Chillout

Chillout Member

I would love to see pics of footwell lights! And how did you install them?

9. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

I picked up a set of LED strip lights at one of the auto parts stores. They're adhesive backed with red and white lights. I stuck them to the bottom of the dash above the foot well. They came with a switch that cycles through white, red, both, and off. The switch is also adhesive backed. I stuck it under the center console toward the passenger side. I also picked up a electric mounting block. It has several spots for hooking up LED's. Each spot has its own on-off switch. It plugs into the 12v receptacle and has another on off switch. Ideally, I would rather hard-wire them, but I didn't want to challenge the warranty.

Attached Files:

10. Chillout

Chillout Member

that's looking great, thanks!