Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Lost Credit Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Refreshed Model S. My credit card slid forward off the top of the center console cover and disappeared underneath the area where you place your cell phone for wireless charging (see pic)
Does Anyone know how to access this area to retrieve it?

image.jpg

The wireless charger easily lifts up. Pull up on the front left/right corners to disengage the clips.
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up taking my car to my Tesla SC cause I didn’t want to accidentally disconnect some wires under the charging deck. After the technician removed the wireless charging deck they could see the card but couldn’t retrieve it. They wanted to charge me $80 for labor to remove the center console. I spoke to the service manager and told him this is a design flaw - there are no warnings in the owners manual and I received no warnings about this gap when picking up the car. He said he would give me a one time goodwill no charge for labor. Can’t believe they even tried to charge me in the first place ridiculous!

Upvote 0
Sam
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up taking my car to my Tesla SC cause I didn’t want to accidentally disconnect some wires under the charging deck. After the technician removed the wireless charging deck they could see the card but couldn’t retrieve it. They wanted to charge me $80 for labor to remove the center console. I spoke to the service manager and told him this is a design flaw - there are no warnings in the owners manual and I received no warnings about this gap when picking up the car. He said he would give me a one time goodwill no charge for labor. Can’t believe they even tried to charge me in the first place ridiculous
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up taking my car to my Tesla SC cause I didn’t want to accidentally disconnect some wires under the charging deck. After the technician removed the wireless charging deck they could see the card but couldn’t retrieve it. They wanted to charge me $80 for labor to remove the center console. I spoke to the service manager and told him this is a design flaw - there are no warnings in the owners manual and I received no warnings about this gap when picking up the car. He said he would give me a one time goodwill no charge for labor. Can’t believe they even tried to charge me in the first place ridiculous!
My card disappeared the same way. I pulled off the charging deck as suggested, but no sign of the card. It looks like there will be quite a bit more disassembly to get to the bottom of the console, so I’ll schedule a service. Painful.

Upvote 0
Sam

My card disappeared the same way. I pulled off the charging deck as suggested, but no sign of the card. It looks like there will be quite a bit more disassembly to get to the bottom of the console, so I’ll schedule a service. Painful.
Yes, the SC had to remove my entire center console because even they couldn't get to the card after removing the charging deck. Make sure you speak with the service manager if they try to charge you for the service. Honestly, I think Tesla needs to redesign the phone charging deck and put some kind of rubber sweep or threshold that prevents anything from sliding under that area. It's only natural to want to lay things there when the center console door is partially or fully closed.

Upvote 0
Yes, the SC had to remove my entire center console because even they couldn't get to the card after removing the charging deck. Make sure you speak with the service manager if they try to charge you for the service. Honestly, I think Tesla needs to redesign the phone charging deck and put some kind of rubber sweep or threshold that prevents anything from sliding under that area. It's only natural to want to lay things there when the center console door is partially or fully closed.
A vallet lost one my key cards back there. I lifted the charging deck and can't see it... this is definitely a design flaw. I'm wondering if I should leave it there.

Reactions: jrr6415sun
Upvote 0

You really can't believe it? I mean there is an obvious slot there where something could slide and get lost, I'm not sure if you expected gutters or what, but you should be appreciative that they are goodwilling this. I would be shocked if BMW/MB/etc would agree to disassemble an interior for free to dig out a lost CC.

Upvote 0
The wireless charger easily lifts up. Pull up on the front left/right corners to disengage the clips.
Yeah there's a video about pulling off the inductive charger panel in a similar post on this forum (
but just grab it and tug a couple of times. I had a scrunched-up envelope back there and was able to retrieve it with patience and a lot of wriggling around. A credit card might not be so easy, but in case someone else, like me, is searching on how to remove paper, give it a try.

Upvote 0
I just did the same thing with my credit card. I pulled off the charging pad and I can see it all the way at the back of where the door slides back. It is sitting at an angle into something. This really ticks me off. Bad design. There is a metal piece above where the card is that looks like it is held on by 4 small bolts. I may try removing it to see if that allows access.

Anyone else ever figure out any way to get stuff out of there?

Upvote 0
I figured out how to retrieve my credit card. I took a piece of thin plastic and put very sticky duct tape on the end with sticky side up. I then slid it down to where the card was sitting. The card was sitting at an angle with the rear dropped down on something. I then slid a coat hanger under the plastic so as to push it upwards onto the card. The card stuck to the duct tape and I pulled it out.

IMG_0465.jpg

Reactions: MikeGracz
Upvote 0
I lost my debit card to that hungry slot the day after I got my car. Took me overnight to realize that's where my missing card must have gone. I figured it lost, ordered a new one and forgot about it. After 4 months suddenly the sliding panel wouldn't open all the way. It was hitting the card lodged back there for some new reason. I made a service appointment but never told them "hey, I lost my credit card in there" just that the door wouldn't open all the way. Took them all day to remove and reseat that console but there was no charge for the job. They told me "we found a credit card back there" (I acted surprised) and interestingly they kept my card!

Upvote 0
I have a Refreshed Model S. My credit card slid forward off the top of the center console cover and disappeared underneath the area where you place your cell phone for wireless charging (see pic)
Does Anyone know how to access this area to retrieve it?

View attachment 714507
I have a 2020 model X. I had the same issue. You should be able to remove the charge port with a bit of effort and retrieve your credit card. The 2020 models are a bit more involved.

Upvote 0