Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center console now standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make the Auto Lift gate standard. Even cars under 30k have that. Plus, the Hatch is one of the largest lift gates too. Not to mention the amount of air compression made when slamming it shut!

That would make sense. But that also would render the "Premium interior package" useless for most people. That's why I think the option packaging would be significantly re-arranged.

Can we get some before/after pics so I know what I'm looking at?

before:
2013_tesla_model-s_cc_lt_51613_600.jpg

After:
car07-jpg.69741

center_console_images_no_phone_v14.005_1024x1024.jpg
center_console_images_no_phone_v14.007_1024x1024.jpg

hmm.. the center console showing on the design studio looks slightly different than the old ones that were ordered separately... the cover looks like its one piece, rather than 2 pieces.. and I wonder if that means the ones coming with the cars now are actually matching with the trim... or still in piano black only...

hmm.. the center console showing on the design studio looks slightly different than the old ones that were ordered separately... the cover looks like its one piece, rather than 2 pieces.. and I wonder if that means the ones coming with the cars now are actually matching with the trim... or still in piano black only...

You're right, I noticed that, I dissected the code on the website and found that the original image is still showing without the CCI.

ms_stud_seat_alta_base.jpg

They are however adding this layer above it by default

ms_stud_seat_alta_yffc_base_textile.png

Last edited:
It's not just the 'console' part above the yacht floor space that is different. The stitching and the shape of the arm rests between the seats (behind cupholders) is also different. This looks line an all new one piece console, not like they just tacked on the removable floor console that was previously available as an accessory.

Critics' cries of lack of interior storage have been heard.
Sadly I think the console kinda detracts from the model S.
The emptiness in the centre was one of the things that made the model S stand out and further emphasized the massiveness of the MCU, making the car it feel like a concept come to life.
Now with the console it just looks..... plain.

I need to mentally prepare myself for the onslaught of things that new buyers are going to get that I don't have. I'm glad for the almost 10,000 miles I have had, but it will still take some self-control to not be a little bitter.

That is the annoyance of buying a Tesla, happens a lot. It is constantly being update and things added. Just wait until you go to sell it.

Reactions: chriSharek
This kind of a weird question but has anyone seen one of these new consoles live? Yes it's there in the design center in a composited image, but until it actually shows up in a delivered (or demo) car, we don't actually know for sure that it exists, right?

Yes, I've seen it live last December in a Tesla employee's Model S. It has a spring loaded cover like the Model X. The flip portion nearest the rear of the console is just grey to match the rest of the console so no "piano black" anymore. I'm trying to remember if it also had rear cup holders that popped out for the back seats, but can't recall if it did or if that was just the Model X.

Yes, I've seen it live last December in a Tesla employee's Model S. It has a spring loaded cover like the Model X. The flip portion nearest the rear of the console is just grey to match the rest of the console so no "piano black" anymore. I'm trying to remember if it also had rear cup holders that popped out for the back seats, but can't recall if it did or if that was just the Model X.

Here's a video, what they did is essentially take the center console off the X and put in the S

I like the center console. The Wife likes it without the center console so she can place her purse in the center and not have it by her feet where it always getting kicked and content is spilled.

Would be great if it was removable. I agree with bmah that it is not final until we see it in a 2016 delivery. I will be getting my 90D next week I hope. I did get the new rims.