Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Question - 2020 vs Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleM3

Jul 21, 2020
PA
Hey everyone - this question is for those who have either done a swap or have the newer center console. The leather trimmed areas that run up the CC, I noticed on a YouTube video when someone was doing a swap they are held on by push pins. With that being said, could the leather trim be pulled off from the refreshed consoles and put onto a pre-refresh console instead of it just having that thicker black plastic?

I have a feeling the answer is no. But, I am curious. Thanks!

I have the newer console. But sorry, I'm not taking it apart for science. But understanding iterative development practices - especially as they relate to manufacturing as something as complex as a car - I would imagine that the new console would be affixed in the same way to the chassis. So if your old console is really bugging you - I would say that your best bet would be to scour eBay or junkyard sites for someone parting out a newer car that was totaled, and replace your entire front console with the new one - not just the "top".

I have the newer console. But sorry, I'm not taking it apart for science. But understanding iterative development practices - especially as they relate to manufacturing as something as complex as a car - I would imagine that the new console would be affixed in the same way to the chassis. So if your old console is really bugging you - I would say that your best bet would be to scour eBay or junkyard sites for someone parting out a newer car that was totaled, and replace your entire front console with the new one - not just the "top".

I checked eBay (idk why I didn’t start there instead of reaching out to Tesla directly). I don’t think it’ll plug and play based off the shape near the charging area. Darn.

Attachments

• 39FD53DB-C35D-4B78-A0BF-9615FF4FE25A.jpeg
    39FD53DB-C35D-4B78-A0BF-9615FF4FE25A.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 778DEB50-BC83-482D-8FB3-05CE872EE576.jpeg
    778DEB50-BC83-482D-8FB3-05CE872EE576.jpeg
    587.5 KB · Views: 66
The part you’re thinking of includes the alcantara wireless pads, so there would be no way of actually fitting it to the older console as the pad would obscure the door at the top of the older console.

The newer console has (I think) 6 clips that attach to a plastic frame that doesn’t exist on the older one.