Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Question - Matching wood or black sliding cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that some cars have the matching wood accent on the sliding cover of the center console while others just have the basic black cover.

Was this an option or just missed on some cars? Should the console match the interior wood trim?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 10.15.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 10.15.51 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • model-s-dark-ash-interior-1.jpg
    model-s-dark-ash-interior-1.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 99
I have seen this small changes many times in "The Tesla World". I think it is due to part supply limitations. I have attached other examples of this below...

Attachments

• w_badge.jpg
    w_badge.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 82
  • w_chrome.jpg
    w_chrome.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 84
  • wo_badge.jpg
    wo_badge.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
  • wo_chrome.jpg
    wo_chrome.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 88
I came here to ask the same thing. I have a loaner that only had 7 miles on it, and the sliding cover was wood. So much better than the black one, doesn't show fingerprints or dust. Would love to swap mine out.

OP, did you ever figure out the story here? My SA said he'd look into it, but I haven't heard back yet.

I have the black slider in mine. I,too, have seen some newer ones with wood. I think it might be part of either the premium upgrade package or the leather/vegan upgraded seats. I don’t have either. The funny thing is I have the alcantara headliner. Sometimes I think Tesla just grabs any part they have laying around. Lol.

Looking at the OP pictures; by the look of it they are both the cloth interiors, the one with the wood sliding cover has the latest interior (look at the seat design), the one with the plastic has the old interior.
You can see the new design on the Tesla design page.