TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Center Console Scratches

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BFData, Jun 10, 2018.

1. BFData

BFData Member

Tesla is having problems with the center console. My center console was scratched on delivery. I now have had two successive attempts to replace it. Both attempts have had the replacement parts also scratched. Tesla said the center console part is wrapped in bubble wrap but it is so scratch prone, perhaps the bubble wrap is causing it to scratch. Anyways Tesla admitted that this is a problem and they will be on a call to discuss it and will get back to me tomorrow with an updated game plan. I’m patient with this since I’m confident Tesla will fix the problem but want others to be very careful to check out your center console if it’s being replaced due to scratches when taking delivery. It’s very possible the replacement part will also be scratched too, until they find a better solution.

• Like x 3
  2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Clearly the glossy black console's days are numbered..... No one likes it and it is obviously a liability in cases like this. I already wrapped mine in matte PPF. I really see this change happening soon...

• Like x 7
  3. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Since they eventually replaced the piano finish on the Model X seat backs, you would think that they wouldn't make the same mistake twice. :rolleyes: I had my console wrapped with Xpel and now it is super durable. Wrapping is the only solution, as far as I know.

• Like x 1
  4. fseir

fseir Member

I wrapped mine too, and the vinyl wrap got scratched on the first visit to the SC. They reimbursed me for the cost of the wrap, but now I have to redo it.

They shoulda made the center console out of Kevlar.

4A8CC3B5-DCCA-482C-9B9E-D06BA8B27096.jpeg

5. insaneoctane

That is exactly why I wrapped mine in PPF vs 3M vinyl. .. The PPF self heals any scratches....

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. BFData

BFData Member

Definitely plan on getting it wrapped in PPF. I just first need to get an unscratched console.

7. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

8. fseir

fseir Member

Self healing is only for very superficial scratches, and works best when exposed to sunlight and heat. It wouldn’t be able to heal a hole in the vinyl.

• Like x 1
  9. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I ordered the carbon fiber wrap from them but still waiting for them to ship it. Order date was 6/1/2018.

The center console finish is terrible. Mine has a lot of small scratches already and all I did was breathe on it. Can't wait for my wrap to come.

10. insaneoctane

The PPF is thicker and more durable and far less likely to rip in the first place

11. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

Futile, IMO. I'm spending the last 6 weeks trying to get the outside up to cosmetic satisfaction. I'm adding a 3M covering to the console and forgetting about what lies underneath.

12. BFData

BFData Member

Just got a call from the service center. They’re working with the distribution team to get me a new center console that won’t be scratched in shipping.

But... He then tells me I don’t want to get your hopes up but another solution might be in the works. He said he would touch base with me on the best course of action by end of the week. Wonder if this suggests a new center console design?

• Informative x 2
  13. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Or perhaps just new console doors that don't have that piano black finish on them.

• Like x 1
  14. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I had mine covered with XPEL Stealth (matte finish) when they covered the front of the car with XPEL Ultimate. Not only does it protect the center console from scratches and fingerprints, I think it looks better than the piano black.

15. BFData

BFData Member

That’s an interesting option. I just wrapped my car in Suntek Ultra. My detailer has offered to cover the center console in either the matte or clear option of Suntek Ultra. I’m tempted to go with the matte option instead of the piano black look.

• Like x 1
  16. mbman81

mbman81 Member

I was tempted to do the matte too. But then it doesn't match the gloss black trim on door areas. So I'm doing clear.

17. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Same. Both wraps have been great. The matte console still shows some dust, but not at nearly the level as the OEM finish, and is essentially scratch-proof.

18. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

I'm looking to add a clear protection film to the console. I've seen the RPM Tesla 3m option. can anyone point me to another website offering this (even a self healing one). would like to know who's applied the clear and how they are liking it. Thanks

19. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I had XPEL Ultimate matte applied four months ago and it has been great.

20. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

DIY or had a shop do it for you? link to product?