TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Center console self healing properties?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by cpj777, Jul 10, 2018.

1. cpj777

cpj777 Member

The other day I tried brushing off some dust on my center console with my sleeve. In the process, the plastic button on my sleeve left a massive scratch on the center console that was quite visible. Needless to say, I was pretty upset about it since I hardly touched the center console. I tried getting the scratch out with a microfiber cloth and also with my finger, but neither had any effect. I thought I'd just have to live with te scratch and started researching console wraps. However, after a day or two in the sun I looked down and the scratch was completely gone. I can't even find where the scratch used to be on the center console. Has anyone else noticed this? It almost seems like there are some self healing properties on the center console.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Magic at work? Maybe the healing elves popped in overnight? Or maybe there is an OTA scratch repair feature? Amazing cars Teslas!

• Funny x 1
  3. outie

outie Active Member

You were dreaming about scratching it.

4. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

First I've heard of it if it is true. Does anyone have scratches on theirs?

5. cpj777

cpj777 Member

I do have a couple of smaller scratches on the center console, but maybe they were deeper than the other scratch, or maybe they will disappear in a few days too, lol. I don’t know. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this...

6. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I've seen a similar thing with scuffs on natural leather, which seem to look really obvious when fresh and then quickly fade away with time. But I'm not familiar with the M3 and its materials. My guess is that your scratch was probably more of a mark made visible largely from water/sweat which then evaporated over time.

7. gambit48

gambit48 Member

They're replacing our center console because of scratches from before delivery. Trust me, they tried to buff them out before having to order a whole new center console.

Maybe you just smeared something that looked like a scratch?

• Like x 1