Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

center console slow to wake up.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
This has happened a number of times to me. I think it's related to the 5.8.4 upgrade but have no proof other than it never happened prior to the upgrade.

When it happens, the driver's display will come up within 2-3 seconds but the center console will remain black for around 25 seconds (I've timed it by counting). I have set the left panel of the driver's display to show media and it remains blank during this period. The media doesn't play during this time and when it comes back, the audio volume is always turned down low (almost inaudible) even though I always leave it at least at 5. I don't think any other settings are affected. The car is driveable though backup cam and homelink don't work during this time.

This happens once or twice a week and seems to be independent of sleep state. It has happened first thing in the morning after the car sat overnight and has happened after a 30 minute stop. It appears to happen randomly. I drive the car at least 3 times a day so it happens 1 in 15 to 30 times. I've rebooted the center console several times along the way but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Perhaps unrelated but after 5.8.4, the phone app never connects to the car.

Any ideas?

Mine sort of does the same thing. I do not have the energy saving mode enabled. When I go to my car first thing, or after work, it wakes up right away. But if I leave the car for a few minutes and return, it can take minutes for it to wake up. During this time, the car is driveable, but there's no audio or air. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's annoying, and there's nothing I can do to bring the screen to life. I've rebooted a few times to make sure that wasn't the issue. It's making a visit to the SC next week for a roof rattle, so it'll be looked at then.

Same here. Caught it on video several times. Oddly enough, the screen still takes input while dark (I managed to inadvertently open my pano roof while randomly tapping the screen). SC couldn't replicate, so it went unfixed at the last service visit. It can be annoying because sometimes it'll happen when I hop out the car for a second and get back in (like getting the mail out the mailbox). Not a huge deal, I just turn sleep mode off til I need it.

Well, at least I'm not alone! Problem is that it's going to be way hard to demo to the service guys. And even if they see it, it won't replicate for another 10-20 start ups. It's like the console computer is off doing something else. Maybe it's sitting in a tight loop with interrupts off and their watchdog timeout is 25 seconds or so.

Well, at least criminals wont be using a Model S as a getaway car!

I had the same problem following an unsuccessful first attempt at 5.8.4 to 5.8.7 upgrade. Center console just wouldn't come up, despite a reboot. Finally after a several reboots I was able to awaken the console. Update timer was back on; second attempt to update fortunately succeeded.

I had the problem two times today. The second time I opened the door and got in while the screen was black. The mirrors stayed folded until the screen returned and the everything moved as it should. Once it started I had lost my previous music selection and the volume had reduced - so it was quite messed up.

Let's hope I get 6.0 or at least 5.8.8 soon!

This is sounding like a fairly common problem. While it's more in the realm of annoyance, it is on the extreme end of annoying. I want to back up and close my garage doors and waiting 30 seconds for home link to be available is substandard. My Prius never had this problem...

Last edited:
I have had this issue since the 5.8.4 update. It does happen independent of energy saving/eco mode. I noticed it b/c I often put my briefcase behind the driver seat before leaving, opening and then shutting the rear door first. The console activates upon opening the rear door, then shuts off when it is closed. When I open the driver side door, it takes about 10-15 seconds to wake back up. The car still drives despite this.