TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center Console with Rear cupholders installed - 7/18/16

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pdxgibby, Jul 20, 2016.

1. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Member

I ordered the brand new center console for my 2015 Model S 70D a few weeks ago and it was installed on Monday. I love-love-love it. The rear cupholders are excellent and very Mercedes-like popping them in and out.

The photos on the tesla website are very accurate, or I would post pictures of my own. This is something that must be installed at a service center because they re-use parts (leather armrest and finish pieces) from your original console. Tesla claims that it should take no more than 1 hour to install, but mine was the first one installed at the Portland, OR service center and they claim it took them a little more than 3 hours to complete the job.

When I dropped the car off, I asked them to save the original console so I could take it back home in case I wanted to sell it to someone who needed one or in case I didn't like the new console. Anyway, when I picked up my car, my rear seats were down because they put the original console in the box that the new console came in. IT WAS ENORMOUS!!!

Anyway, the tech that did the installation walked me through the install and it was clear there was a lot of pride in the part / installation. Fantastic.

2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Very cool. I am getting mine installed next Tuesday, and I am glad to hear you are satisfied. I hope I feel the same way!

3. swengl

swengl Member

Is it me or did they remove the rear console for the S as an option on their website recently? I saw it a week or two ago. I hope they are prepping another offering because I really liked the look and installation ease of the old one.

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

Nice catch. Looks like it's gone. They've had supply issues and quality issues in the past but I'm surprised they removed it completely. Agree, maybe it's a sign they have something new in the pipeline.

• Like x 1
  5. swengl

swengl Member

I hope so, because I like their design better than the Evannex one (the cupholders and the front strap are hideous). With that said, I really like the Evannex front console and have not removed it once since I installed it.

6. jdb

jdb Member

Just had the center console installed, probably oldest MS to have them installed, 2012 Sig with VIN under 720. But after getting the Model X with center console we realized that really liked that feature. And it does match almost exactly the MX including rear cupholders. They did good job of installation, looks like original equipment.

7. swengl

swengl Member

Did you order it through a service center or the website? Thanks!

8. ddimit

ddimit Member

You order on the website, and specify which service center you want it shipped to.

9. markn455

markn455 Member

How about a photo or video of your install?

10. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

You could always swap with someone who had the original console to begin with.

11. Firewired

Firewired Member

Just had mine done today also on a 12/14 Model S. Really like the fit and finish. Is it my imagination or do the armrests sit slightly higher than before? i know they re-used the actual arm rest pads and wood, trim, but it seemed so to me when I first got in post install.

12. thedaysbetween

Ordered mine on June 25 on the website. Shipped to Rockville Service Center, MD. Installed on Saturday July 30th. Install took approx 2 hours. Very satisfied with both the quality of the console and the install.

13. Tucker48

Tucker48 Member

Wrestling with this--was considering the cheaper silicone models but then saw this on the tesla website. Not sure if I miss the center console yet--enjoying having all that space free. Decisions, decisions...

14. swengl

swengl Member

The front console insert is, IMHO, a must. I bought the Evannex version and I love it (I've had it over a year now). I think the Tesla version is also very nice. Using the built-in drink holders in the armrest is a bit awkward and the forward CCI has, for me, completely eliminated the need to use the armrest cupholders.

15. oferrer

oferrer Member

I remember seeing the rear center console on Tesla's site a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it now. Is this something that can still be ordered directly from the Service Center? or is it completely unavailable at the moment?

16. Caboom

Caboom Member

Getting ready to receive my new P90DL but have the older center console i'm wondering if it will fit in the new p90?

17. studiojon

studiojon Member

I have a tan / obeche gloss one for sale on the parts section here if you want one and that color works. It's great - just got a new S with different color interior so selling the old rear console.

18. swengl

swengl Member

So close! My interior is Obeche Matte. Thanks for the offer!

19. swengl

swengl Member

I'm in the same boat...wondering if they are updating it or have just removed it.

20. claudelaval

claudelaval Member

is it the same console that come standard now?