TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Center console won't stay open

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by dropd, Feb 10, 2017.

1. dropd

dropd Member

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Lately, our center console door won't stay in the open position. We can open it seemingly all the way, but it never "catches" to stay open - always closes back up as soon as you let go of it.

We'll ask them to address it at our next service appointment, but curious if anyone else has seen this and possibly had any success fixing it themselves.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Typically this is due to stuff stuck in the console preventing the door to latch. Clear out your console and ensure there isn't anything in there interfering with the mechanism.

3. dropd

dropd Member

Yep that was the first thing we did, no obvious obstructions.

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Sorry, that's all I've got. Hopefully your SC will figure it out. I'll take a look at mine later this evening to see if I can spot anything other issues that might cause this.

• Like x 1
  5. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I had the same problem with my Model X Center Console. The only thing I could do was take it to the service center. Unfortunately, they had to order a new center console.

6. hacer

hacer Member

It's easy to damage the latch if you unwittingly pull it shut from a latched open position. I've had passengers try to do that, but I've always stopped them in time.

7. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

A friend's Model S P100DL was delivered that way. The DS noticed it, pointed it out, and ordered a new one for him.

8. dropd

dropd Member

Did they cover it under warranty or did you pay out of pocket?

9. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

It was covered under warranty. It took about a month to order the replacement console.

10. vangogh

vangogh Member

I set a credit card on the closed cover and it slid back on the the top of cover under the back panel . It did not fall into the cubbie but it jambed into the locking mechanism and cuased the problem you are describing...

11. Jim J

Jim J Member

Just had this fixed. A wire behind the door wouldn't allow it to close. They fixed it within an hour.

12. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I had this issue. The SC found that the latch spring had come off. It was a warrant repair.

13. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

How was this fixed .. I have a similar issue where the console cover will not slide all the way back in ... Wondering if I have to dismantle the center console to remove the card ...

14. Plugsuvohio

Plugsuvohio Member

Yes exactly this problem. Won't stay open, Interesting because I rarely have closed it in the 9 months since delivery.