Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Wood Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do a lot of woodworking, just north of you in Dallas, TX. If real wood veneer can be used to wrap the car's parts then there are a ton of very beautiful options available. I'm curious to see how you attach the veneer to the car parts (what adhesive, do you soak or steam the wood to make it more flexible, etc). I would have considered the veneer too thick for this purpose (but I could be wrong). Also, how will you finish the veneer (which sealer). Installing a wrap (thin sheet of flexible vinyl/plastic) does not have these challenges.

Good luck - please post your findings and methods as well as final pictures. I really appreciate any insights that you can share.

Here's a chair project that I completed a couple of years ago.
Morris Chairs - Finally Complete
@SeventyFix, I'm late to this thread but feel compelled to compliment you on those beautiful Morris chairs. Really nice work there!

I very much like the wood look. I think it was a design statement in a high tech car, kind of counter tech. On the other hand I think the wood Tesla used is a more than just a bit boring. I want to have a stronger grain with more color, so I used macassar ebony, as shown in the photo.View attachment 361523
artsci,

Those are great looking black Tesla logo floor mats. Where did you get them?

I love the Matte Obeche, wish Tesla would have kept it.
54434340_1507666426041856_6906232971594825728_o.jpg
54516499_1507666352708530_2453025160421179392_o.jpg

Perhaps I’m the minority but I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber look. Maybe it’s from being over 50 yrs old. Idk. Anyway, I found this wood wrap on RPM Tesla and fell in love with it immediately. Now listen, I was thrown off because it was only after I received the package, did I realize that this was not actually a wrap but just a top surface adhesive. Meaning, it does not wrap around the edges as some do. I was going to pay someone $70 to install it because I thought I might screw it up. After watching the video though that RPM put out on installation, I laughed and called the shop and told them I would do it myself. (Fine though since they were already working on my PPF). Anyway, I got the car home and in about 15 minutes, I was completely done.

So yes, as you will see, there is some shiny black edges, particularly at the cup holder but I think it makes it look even more elegant! Bare in mind that it is not an EXACT match to the wood in the car. It is a shade darker but not that noticeable to me. Having had wood grains in previous cars, I love the look. I don’t know how people wrap the real wood on the dash. Such a shame. But hey, just my .02

I installed this as well and it is a very close match. What helps is that console area is less exposed than the dash so the expectation is that the color should appear a bit darker. Very easy to install.

Perhaps I’m the minority but I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber look. Maybe it’s from being over 50 yrs old. Idk. Anyway, I found this wood wrap on RPM Tesla and fell in love with it immediately. Now listen, I was thrown off because it was only after I received the package, did I realize that this was not actually a wrap but just a top surface adhesive. Meaning, it does not wrap around the edges as some do. I was going to pay someone $70 to install it because I thought I might screw it up. After watching the video though that RPM put out on installation, I laughed and called the shop and told them I would do it myself. (Fine though since they were already working on my PPF). Anyway, I got the car home and in about 15 minutes, I was completely done.

So yes, as you will see, there is some shiny black edges, particularly at the cup holder but I think it makes it look even more elegant! Bare in mind that it is not an EXACT match to the wood in the car. It is a shade darker but not that noticeable to me. Having had wood grains in previous cars, I love the look. I don’t know how people wrap the real wood on the dash. Such a shame. But hey, just my .02

DFE41-E6-B-6-F0-A-40-F7-928-E-5-ABD2-C918-C9-F.jpg

FA741-C42-9-D8-D-4193-8291-C8-EE8-AD74795.jpg

7-E0-AF22-E-D5-A5-4-A8-E-9-C66-FD0-FBF5-F6564.jpg

B2880-F5-D-9-FFD-4-A4-B-B2-C2-8-EAAD9131541.jpg
Looks good

DFE41-E6-B-6-F0-A-40-F7-928-E-5-ABD2-C918-C9-F.jpg

FA741-C42-9-D8-D-4193-8291-C8-EE8-AD74795.jpg

7-E0-AF22-E-D5-A5-4-A8-E-9-C66-FD0-FBF5-F6564.jpg

B2880-F5-D-9-FFD-4-A4-B-B2-C2-8-EAAD9131541.jpg

I came across this post, and felt in love with the mats. Which mats are those, please?