Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console Wood Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I’m the minority but I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber look. Maybe it’s from being over 50 yrs old. Idk. Anyway, I found this wood wrap on RPM Tesla and fell in love with it immediately. Now listen, I was thrown off because it was only after I received the package, did I realize that this was not actually a wrap but just a top surface adhesive. Meaning, it does not wrap around the edges as some do. I was going to pay someone $70 to install it because I thought I might screw it up. After watching the video though that RPM put out on installation, I laughed and called the shop and told them I would do it myself. (Fine though since they were already working on my PPF). Anyway, I got the car home and in about 15 minutes, I was completely done.

So yes, as you will see, there is some shiny black edges, particularly at the cup holder but I think it makes it look even more elegant! Bare in mind that it is not an EXACT match to the wood in the car. It is a shade darker but not that noticeable to me. Having had wood grains in previous cars, I love the look. I don’t know how people wrap the real wood on the dash. Such a shame. But hey, just my .02

DFE41-E6-B-6-F0-A-40-F7-928-E-5-ABD2-C918-C9-F.jpg

FA741-C42-9-D8-D-4193-8291-C8-EE8-AD74795.jpg

7-E0-AF22-E-D5-A5-4-A8-E-9-C66-FD0-FBF5-F6564.jpg

B2880-F5-D-9-FFD-4-A4-B-B2-C2-8-EAAD9131541.jpg

how does the card reader work with these on? I bought the matte black ones, but have not peeled off the adhesive...not committed to them yet, and find the card reader does not work with the covers on.

I got a handful of tiny scratches on my center console on day 2 of owning the car, from wiping it with a brand new microfiber towel, of all things. This got me worried about how bad it would look after some real abuse, so I decided to wrap it.

I found this post in a M3 thread here, and figured $15 for two sets was cheap enough to give this faux wood wrap a shot.

They’re surprisingly thick PVC, similar texture as the wood on the dash, and have a very aggressive adhesive layer, so hopefully the corners won’t start peeling up on me. The description and all the reviews say “they’re stickers! No water needed!” Yeah, screw that, installing them wet saved me a lot of frustration. They come with a handy little felt-lined squeegee that worked nicely. My wife’s hair dryer made the edges of the cup holders and the bend under the armrest super easy.

I’m happy with how it came out, and feel better knowing I don’t have to be the console police with the fam for fear of scratching it up more.

CB234C88-76C2-4BFD-AF99-F8E37B97916C.jpeg A2B327BD-6B0F-4D56-B110-23D0CA2CB923.jpeg

I got a handful of tiny scratches on my center console on day 2 of owning the car, from wiping it with a brand new microfiber towel, of all things. This got me worried about how bad it would look after some real abuse, so I decided to wrap it.

I found this post in a M3 thread here, and figured $15 for two sets was cheap enough to give this faux wood wrap a shot.

They’re surprisingly thick PVC, similar texture as the wood on the dash, and have a very aggressive adhesive layer, so hopefully the corners won’t start peeling up on me. The description and all the reviews say “they’re stickers! No water needed!” Yeah, screw that, installing them wet saved me a lot of frustration. They come with a handy little felt-lined squeegee that worked nicely. My wife’s hair dryer made the edges of the cup holders and the bend under the armrest super easy.

I’m happy with how it came out, and feel better knowing I don’t have to be the console police with the fam for fear of scratching it up more.

View attachment 625513 View attachment 625515
Wow looks really good, odd question but does your key card still work on the console, or is it too thick and hinders it?

Reactions: CleverUsername
I got a handful of tiny scratches on my center console on day 2 of owning the car, from wiping it with a brand new microfiber towel, of all things...I don’t have to be the console police with the fam for fear of scratching it up more.

My wrap looks exactly like that - everyone thinks it’s OEM when they see it.

The fact that the refresh deleted the piano black says everything anyone needs to know about whether that was a smart design choice in the first place...

I came across those too. They look really nice, $120 cheaper than the similar wood veneer shells on RPM Tesla, and the Hills website as an air of respectability around it, for whatever that’s worth.

My big concern is that, as you can see in my pics above, my console isn’t exactly flush and even... I’d be worried about the extra thickness resulting in things catching on each other and generally causing trouble. Also I’d hate to spend $149 for these nice wood shells when the end result’s just gonna look all misaligned.

Attachments

• 1c9db0efcf72a15453334a3175a7d99eecec1d4d-2000x1600.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 55
Looks like a nice veneer. I made my own wood veneer for my Saab 900 Turbo, several decades ago, to cover the glovebox, and replaced the dash speaker brackets. Reminds me so much of that, so I went ahead and ordered the Center Console veneer.

Sweet! I’d love to hear your thoughts and see pics after you get your hands on them.

I just ordered two sets. You see, my wife loves the color purple and when I showed her the covers in Purple Heart wood, she said “I hate you. Just order them.” Purple for her Model Y and walnut for my Model 3.

6 to 8 weeks before they ship, though!

I just ordered two sets. You see, my wife loves the color purple and when I showed her the covers in Purple Heart wood, she said “I hate you. Just order them.” Purple for her Model Y and walnut for my Model 3.

6 to 8 weeks before they ship, though!
You should have ordered one, then got a $25 referral credit and ordered a 2nd!

An update:
The CEO of Hillsmade emailed the other day, saying my wood console was shipped to the US, but got stuck in customs for a few extra days, but that it's been released, and that I would get a shipping number soon.

Today, got another email with a DHL tracking number.

If it's a scam, it's a good one!

Their site also shows a real pic of the veneers laid out on the ground. Previously, one thing that seemed suspicious was that the items were renderings, not actual product. Now, it shows real product.
View attachment 651755

Reactions: adayley
An update:
The CEO of Hillsmade emailed the other day, saying my wood console was shipped to the US, but got stuck in customs for a few extra days, but that it's been released, and that I would get a shipping number soon.

Today, got another email with a DHL tracking number.

If it's a scam, it's a good one!

Their site also shows a real pic of the veneers laid out on the ground. Previously, one thing that seemed suspicious was that the items were renderings, not actual product. Now, it shows real product.
View attachment 651755
I got the same email yesterday. No tracking number yet. We ordered two sets for my M3 and my wife’s MY.

I hope our tracking number comes today!

Reactions: KenC
I got the same email yesterday. No tracking number yet. We ordered two sets for my M3 and my wife’s MY.

I hope our tracking number comes today!
In the CEO's email, it showed two shipping centers, for West coast and East coast, since I'm on East, and you're West, it's no surprise if the shipping isn't all at the same time.

Interestingly, the email from the CEO, included their shipping info to Louisville and Phoenix. If you click on them, you find that the East Coast shipment had a customs hold from 3/28 to April 1st,
by default 2021-04-07 at 10.58.45 PM.jpg

while the West Coast-Phoenix shipment had a customs hold from 3/28 to April 6th.
by default 2021-04-07 at 10.54.24 PM.jpg

The other tidbit from the shipping manifest is both shipments weigh about 73lbs, each. Since my center console veneer weighs less than a pound, it implies ~ 70 pieces per package. The CEO said they had about 100 customer orders to ship, which makes sense with the weight, so, all in all, I'm increasingly confident that this product is real. Can't wait to get it in a couple days. I'll post pics when I get it.