TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Center Display goes Bonkers when Dusting Dashtop with Swiffer Cloth

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by fuelsman, Mar 3, 2014.

1. fuelsman

fuelsman Member

I had my key fob in my pocket and I was dusting the Dash top with a Swiffer cloth when my center display goes bonkers turning on and off multiple things. (like seat warmers, AC, charge state, radio, etc) with each pass of the cloth on the dash top. I stop dusting and turn off everything that is still on and it's back to normal. Didn't touch or brush the screen just the dash top. Set up some static electrical field? Weird experience.

2. nleggatt

nleggatt Member

yep, does happen : )

3. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Yes, known behavior. The screen cleaning mode should be enabled even when cleaning any part of the dash.

And note that settings CAN change when it's going crazy like that. It is registering touches on the screen and you might find some settings different after a cleaning.

4. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

I don't know anything about the Model S screen, but on other touch screens, I usually press and hold a corner of the screen that does not have any touch input. If you keep holding this location, it will ignore all other touch commands until you release this touch. That way, I can touch the corner and then go about cleaning the screen while I hold it, and when done release.

All I can say is that you can try this approach. I'm not certain if it will work with the Model S screen, but it does work on many others that I deal with.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Put the center display into cleaning mode so you can safely clean the dash top.

I have not had that problem with my S. Maybe the cloth you are using is generating a static charge. Is the humidity very low where you are?

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yep, you want a microfiber cloth, like you'd clean a pair of prescription glasses with. My local SC is giving them away. I'm told the static discharge from not using one could damage the screen (or some components thereof).

Edit: whoops, totally missed you're dusting the dash. Yea, had that happen too and so I'm extra paranoid. Wasn't told that using a non-microfibre would be bad on the dash, but I'm guessing based on the way the display behaves that it's probably not good for it.

7. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

8. Adrian

Adrian Title(D)

Capacitive touch screens react to the tiny electrical impulses in your finger. Microfiber etc. creates static electricity which the sensors pick up.

This doesn't really work with proper multitouch screens. That happens because the system prioritises the first touch it registered, a proper multitouch will still click the other places.