Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Display Leak Without Bubbles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MCU1. I've noticed the many threads on display bubbles showing up, with eventually the goo/adhesive leaking out the bottom. I personally had the bubbles on my instrument cluster (but replaced before leak appeared).

What I've not seen anyone describe (what I'm experiencing now) is a goo leak (appearing at the top of the sunglass cubby) with no bubbling present on the center display.

The goo first presented in mid-September; I Goo Gone'd the area and it never reappeared so I figured it was a one-off / not the display. Goo finally showed up again this weekend. Still no signs of bubbling on the center display (though I have not removed any trim to see if bubbles are below the visible/usable area.

Anyone experienced the same? Any advice? Should I be saving up money for a display swap (what's a recent cost estimate if anyone has done it)? Are they only working center displays if they are doing an MCU1 to 2 upgrade? Just grin and bear it and clean up every 2 months (my current plan)? Something else I'm not considering? Thanks all.

You may not see a "bubble", but it may appear as a line across the display starting at the very top. It may be very subtle, as mine appeared to be a road on the map when viewed in night mode. I finally noticed it when road didn't orient when turning. Or, it may not have leaked enough to see...yet.

You may not see a "bubble", but it may appear as a line across the display starting at the very top. It may be very subtle, as mine appeared to be a road on the map when viewed in night mode. I finally noticed it when road didn't orient when turning. Or, it may not have leaked enough to see...yet.
Is this a cosmetic only issue? Or does the screen eventually fail? I'm having this issue and the cosmetic of it doesn't bother me, I'm more worried about being stranded.

Is this a cosmetic only issue? Or does the screen eventually fail? I'm having this issue and the cosmetic of it doesn't bother me, I'm more worried about being stranded.
Shortly after I made this post, the bubbles did appear at rapid speed. I wasn't able to get the screen replaced until Feb, and was having daily goo-leaks. It's actually still a problem: the goo got into the ridged floor of the sunglass cubby and it won't come out with Goo Gone, but now that we are in the summer, the car heats up and the goo loosens, rolls down the cubby to the back, and will catch on any sunglass edges that touch the back wall. So now I'm having to wipe down every week or so.

TL;DR - get that screen out ASAP or plan to be in "why is my finger and now my steering wheel sticky"-mode for months.