Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center display spontaneously reboots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

This happened twice today in my S85 running firmware version 5.9. Was driving on the freeway with cruise on at 71mph, playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, navigation route set and map display on bottom half of screen with top half of screen showing rear view camera image. Suddenly center display went dark except for rear camera image (first photo shown below) for a few seconds then entire display went dark except for Tesla logo in center of display for another few seconds (second photo shown below) then center display went back to the way it was before: rear view camera image in top half and navigation map in lower half. It was as if the center display was spontaneously rebooting. The driver display never changed, it behaved normally and the Navigon nav continued without interruption. Had the odometer display running on the drivers display.

I will have to contact my local Service Center about this next week.

Model-S-main-display-glitch.jpg

Model-S-main-display-reboot.jpg
(note: the light colored shape in the lower part of the display is a reflection)

@dirkhh, thanks for your comments. But when I experienced the issue I described, I was not entering any commands on the center display, I was just cruising along listening to music, running the nav, and showing the backup camera image. Things which I have done simultaneously for hundreds of miles continuously in the past without incident.

I've had this a few times with 5.8.10. Usually when I ask it to do too many things too quickly. Search a route, switch to a different playlist on Slacker, change into reverse. Booom. Something like this. But I can't reproduce it.
I also had a reboot out of the blue while driving a couple of days ago, first time for me. I can't remember what my son was doing, combination nav, music, camera likely too quickly -- I do remember response time suddenly went into the toilet and my driver nav display went blank. But it rebooted on its own, everything came back and I've had no problems since.

Coincidently, a few hours ago, I experienced a reboot while driving at 65 mph a few seconds after I changed my Slacker selection.

My navigation was not running and the only thing displayed (full screen) was the Slacker screen about the music that was playing.

This is the first time I've seen a reboot occur that I didn't initiate. I have 2,000 miles on my P85 and I'm on 5.9.

Ditto on 5.8.10. I am usually good about rebooting proactively every few weeks, but got lazy and the car must have missed it because it rebooted on its own. Minor annoyance...only impacted radio/air, but wasn't dangerous.

I appreciate that what I described was in no way a safety issue. It's a minor thing. But it had never happened to me after 5,600 miles on 5.8.x, yet it happened twice within a few days after 5.9.

Have driven the car over 100 miles today since the two reboots I described in my OP and no reboots have happened.

(Update on 3-31-2014: my spouse tells me that she just had another spontaneous center display reboot while driving with nav running and rear camera on but no music)

Last edited:
@ecarfan, same issues on my S85 since the 5.9 update. I'll add that the map refresh also seems choppy now. I did a restart yesterday and I think it may be stable now but map refresh still choppy.

I updated to 5.9 last week and I have had the system reboot 3 times. My NAV is extremely choppy as well - especially when in satellite view. This wasn't an issue prior to updating to 5.9. I was going to wait until later this week to contact my SC. I'm guessing they're pushing extremely hard to get every delivery out prior to the end of the quarter tomorrow.